TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Spare Tire Gas Can Page: 1, 2  Next
aircooled Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:16 am

I've heard of a gas can which fits in the rim of the spare tire. Was that something just made for VW's. Are there different styles of this type of spare gas can? Does anyone have some pictures to share?

RareAir Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:44 pm

Audi uses them as well as a few other manufacturers. And yes, there are several different shapes

Dave Haviland Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:51 pm

I have one on those. Doesn't have a VW emblem. Would fit a porshe wheel also. If I recall correctly it has 7L on it meaning it holds 7 liters. I think there are also 8 liter ones. They have three clips just like the clips that hold the hubcap on. Mine is red
There are also type 181 gas cans that do not have clips and people will try to sell them as a split item. They have like a big X on the face. Some have a VW emblem and some don't. these are black.
I still pretty retarded when it comes to posting pics.

Dave

53 0val Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:28 pm

There are also 14" ones that have VW on them. They were made to fit "Things" but people try to convince you that they were a split or oval item and are very rare. How can I put this politely? BULLSHIT...... :D

IN2VWS Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:04 pm

Here is a pic of a 7l version, and it was called "Tankly". Not sure if that is what the company called it, or the name of the company.

coad Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:28 pm

IN2VWS wrote:

Is anyone reproducing the rubber lip for those yet?

lonotch Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:18 pm

A friend of Twins scored a nice one at the classic, maybe he has some pics.

r39o Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:50 pm

coad wrote: Is anyone reproducing the rubber lip for those yet?
I have 3 tanks like that. Only one has the rubber. I suspect you should be able to find a generic profile that is "close enough." I just have not spent the time to look. At those generic old car meets (like Pomona) there are vendors with all sorts of generic stuff. It is just not high on my list so I have not looked.

What I would LOVE to get is a scan of those instructions shown.

Does anybody have a scan or copy I could PLEASE have??????

PLEASE!!!!!

TIA,
Walt...

r39o Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:57 pm

Anybody have a copy of the instructions shown?

The Lord Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:39 pm

Ive got a 7L tank like the one above. But, it has the VW logo on the front ob it, below the handle. will get a pic on here asap.....

Zwitter Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:22 am

I'd like to add my name to the list of those who would be interested in getting a copy of those tank instructions, should you choose to make them available.
Thanks, Steve

r39o Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:43 am

Zwitter wrote: I'd like to add my name to the list of those who would be interested in getting a copy of those tank instructions, should you choose to make them available.
Thanks, Steve
The owner of the tank told me he sold that tank. I queried to whom it was sold and got no response to my email after that. Sigh.....

Does anyone know who got that tank?????

twinwindows Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:00 am

lonotch wrote: A friend of Twins scored a nice one at the classic, maybe he has some pics.

Sorry just have pics of the friend :wink:
BTW its a way early version on the 71 tank.Its at the powder coaters getting done up in hammer tone blue,ill post pictures of it later later

Jimmy Perez Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Here's an 8 liter version of the spare tire tank, this 1 has been taken down to bare metal and also takes the same blue color as the 7 liter tank :wink:

Backside

IN2VWS Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:28 pm

r39o wrote:
The owner of the tank told me he sold that tank. I queried to whom it was sold and got no response to my email after that. Sigh.....

Does anyone know who got that tank?????

You got no reply to your email??????? Then why did you send a reply to the reply "you didn't get from me".

Here is what was sent just in case you forgot. It is in reverse order, the oldest email is at the bottom. Ya dickhead!

"Dang....

The paperwork is always hard to find for such items.
If I knew what all the words were, I could replicate
it. My German is good, but I can not make out most of
the words because the resolution is so low. Sigh....

--- John wrote:

No, I sold it at a swap meet. -J

On 24/06/2007, at 4:00, Walter wrote:

Do you recall how to contact the new owner? -W

---

Hi Walt,

Sorry, I sold that tank a while ago. So I am
unable
to scan it for you.

Regards

John"
:

Kais Collection Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:10 am

IN2VWS wrote:
I have had several of these, as well as the 8L version. But this weekend at the 1st European Bug-In I saw one just like this one, but them without the embossed 7L. Anyone seen those before?

IN2VWS Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:19 am

Didn't someone repop these in the early 1990's?
I am not 100%, but I think they did not have the 7l or 8l embossed into it.

ProjectX Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:40 pm

New question, old topic.

It looks like you could run one of these hanging on the rear of the tire and have a Hazet Toolbox mounted on the front.

Anyone actually done this?

Kais Collection Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 pm

56OvalRHD wrote: New question, old topic.

It looks like you could run one of these hanging on the rear of the tire and have a Hazet Toolbox mounted on the front.

Anyone actually done this?
I think the gas can would stick out too much at the back, so then the wheel wouldn't fit in the wheel well anymore... (or at least the hood couldn't be closed anymore..)

ProjectX Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:40 pm

Kai, I'll just leave the hood open then :wink: