TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: type 2 heater in a Thing?
kuebelwagen84 Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:19 pm

I picked up this BN4 at the Punch Buggy show over the weekend and would like to put it in my '73. Aside from the duct work is there any big difference between a type 2 and the ones that came in the Things? Anyone use one of these before with a 181?

I'm planning on sending it out to the Heaterman who's been referenced in other posts and I'm going to have to pick up some parts for it, but as the winter is still many months away I'm not in a big rush

germansupplyscott Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:27 pm

i would get a thing heater. there are lots of parts used on both the late type 2 and thing bn4's, but there are many thing only bits you need and they are the most important items to have. what you have in th photos is the easiest part to get - the combustion chamber basically, but it is the ducting, wiring and fuel bits that you need to make the heater fit into the thing. much better (and cheaper in the long run) to get a complete thing heater pulled from a vehicle with everything intact.

kuebelwagen84 Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:37 pm

germansupplyscott wrote: i would get a thing heater. there are lots of parts used on both the late type 2 and thing bn4's, but there are many thing only bits you need and they are the most important items to have. what you have in th photos is the easiest part to get - the combustion chamber basically, but it is the ducting, wiring and fuel bits that you need to make the heater fit into the thing. much better (and cheaper in the long run) to get a complete thing heater pulled from a vehicle with everything intact.

thanks for the reply... I was positive I needed new ducting but I thought the wiring would be the same... figured I'd give it a shot since the price was right

I'll be on the look out for a complete thing heater then

Ian Epperson Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:03 pm

kuebelwagen84 wrote:
thanks for the reply... I was positive I needed new ducting but I thought the wiring would be the same... figured I'd give it a shot since the price was right

I'll be on the look out for a complete thing heater then

Yeah, I agree with Scott. The intake pipe and exhaust pipe, as well as the ducting and electrical, and it looks like the mount is different too. I'm a bit surprised that it is that different, but those are tough bits to find or make.

markie61 Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:27 pm

Maybe you can trade it with Heaterman for the correct one.
Mark

Ferretkona Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:41 pm

I have wondered.

If in good shape, if a type 2 heater could be mounted in the engine compartment. Duct it thru the sheetmetal and bypass the heater boxes.

Or how about mounted under the back seat next to the battery, no need to run any duct and you only need to run a exhaust pipe. Or plumb it into the heating system under the seat along the tunnel.

kuebelwagen84 Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:33 pm

markie61 wrote: Maybe you can trade it with Heaterman for the correct one.
Mark

not a bad idea, I'll see if I can get his contact info again