TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Germany trip
GSD_Master Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:14 am

I'm going to be in Germany almost all of next month. Does anybody know of any places with 181 parts over there?

oorwullie Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:09 pm

if you had time and inclination to come down my way i have a whole heap of 181 parts.

GSD_Master Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Well, I'm going to Bern for a couple days and I see that Fribourg is pretty darn close so I might just have to stop by if I have time.

GSD_Master Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:30 pm

And I just noticed that you have 666 wall posts :shock:

oorwullie Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:59 pm

i noticed that too when i checked that fribourg was in my location! :shock:

you have definate dates yet for bern? i'll be doing some bus trips myself but can probably be around if i know when you'd be here.

GSD_Master Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:44 pm

I'll have to check my itinerary tommorrow for the dates

Rev. Scott Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:42 pm

i did eastern/central europe in march and april. not alot of older dubs around. more in hungary and czech, but they were using all their parts! had i done a bit more leg work, i may have come up with something though. the TUV has taken most of the older cars off the road, and the ones that pass are real clean. civil auctions seem to be where its at and you can still get 181's and vonogan d-cabs...some syncro's even. will go back next spring and explore this option! happy travels and keep us posted!...

oorwullie Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:45 pm

inkwelz wrote: i did eastern/central europe in march and april. not alot of older dubs around. more in hungary and czech, but they were using all their parts! had i done a bit more leg work, i may have come up with something though. the TUV has taken most of the older cars off the road, and the ones that pass are real clean. civil auctions seem to be where its at and you can still get 181's and vonogan d-cabs...some syncro's even. will go back next spring and explore this option! happy travels and keep us posted!...

very few aircooled cars have been brought out of winter storage in march, april maybe if the weather's good.
you want to see old VWs driving around in europe then come a little later in the year. :idea:

Rev. Scott Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:18 pm

oorwullie wrote: inkwelz wrote: i did eastern/central europe in march and april. not alot of older dubs around. more in hungary and czech, but they were using all their parts! had i done a bit more leg work, i may have come up with something though. the TUV has taken most of the older cars off the road, and the ones that pass are real clean. civil auctions seem to be where its at and you can still get 181's and vonogan d-cabs...some syncro's even. will go back next spring and explore this option! happy travels and keep us posted!...

very few aircooled cars have been brought out of winter storage in march, april maybe if the weather's good.
you want to see old VWs driving around in europe then come a little later in the year. :idea:

oooOOOOoooohhhhhh...funy thing, actualy,when i got off the plane in frankfurt, after eighteen hours of travel with no sleep and a hangover and the wife and kids, we went to catch our train to berlin. it was ten minuts early, sweet. didnt take to long to realize we were on our way to BERN, and not BERLIN! my german friends are still laughing!!!it put about another two hours onto our travels...good job i was on holliday!

oorwullie Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:50 am

looks like you didn't have the time. :wink:

GSD_Master Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:28 am

I will post on my adventures when I get back to the states. I never have enough time to do everyhing that I want to do here.

GSD_Master Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:07 am

Okay...I'm finally back. In Europe I visited 5 countries: The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic. I saw the most older VW's in Berlin and Stuttgart in Germany. It seemed to me that I saw just as many older VW's as I would see in America. However, there was a far greater concentration of ex-military vehicles. Also, there a lot more of the old watercooled busses.

Two days before I had to come back to the states and I had still not seen a Thing. I was riding one of the city trains through the Eastern side of Berlin, and then I finally saw one!! It was an ex-military vehicle. Unfortunatly I had no time to take a picture, but I was just really excited that I finally saw one.

Here are a few pics that I took of some VW's:

In Amsterdam

In Cologne-The only aircooled bus that I saw

In Switzerland

In Berlin

npconnor Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:54 pm

GSD_Master wrote:

In Cologne-The only aircooled bus that I saw

I really like that look...

Fun 181 Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:52 am

I will be going over in about 3 weeks or so. I'll be flying into Cologne and then onto Munich and Salzburg. I'll bring my camera and keep my eyes peeled.

GSD_Master Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:57 am

Don't forget to visit the Hofbräuhaus while you are in Munich. We ate (and drank) there three nights in a row.
http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/en/index_en.html