TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How can I get one of these bodies!?
Flat4Tom Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Hello all,

I'm hooked on trying to find a Bounty Hunter style body buggy...

While perusing the kit cars gallery, I came across this picture:

Looks like a Bounty Hunter body doesn't it?

Look closer, it is a newer style Bounty Hunter body. Look at the windshield. It does not have any of the metal windshield mounts to hold that hard to find Renault windshield. It also appears that the hood is part of the body instead of separate. I am guessing this is one of the copies built in Europe.

Anyone know how I might get one of these? Who makes them and where?
Any info would be appreciated.

By the way, who's ever buggy this is, you have a Beautiful car there!
Regards,
Tom

Endoboy Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:25 pm

Could also be a Deserter GS, which was a licensed copy of the Bounty Hunter on the east coast with a slightly longer 84" wheelbase. Either way, it probably had the renault posts originally, and the owner decided to rework it to get a cleaner look.

nomis Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:45 am

http://www.shmik.vispa.com/

dirtbugger Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:28 pm

There is a body like that now being made in Australia, it uses a curved beetle windscreen integrated with the front body molding.

Although the front is very similar, the rest is radically different, the rear has far more coverage than a buggy would usually have and the front is designed to open plus it has space up front to mount a standard subie radiator on an angle if you choose to go with a water pumper.

I haven't seen it in person however I'm lead to believe that the radiator is actually positioned behind the front beams and the side pods have some integrated scoops that can collect air for a rear mounted intercooler.

The builder is "sharpbuilt" however there will not be much on his web site as yet. These are a few spy shots of one that recently came down to Sydney.

http://buggyadventures.com.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1030

Flat4Tom Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to look at an almost complete Deserter GT tomorrow morning. If it's not as advertised, I'll pass, but if is is.... :wink: Wish me luck.

nomis, thank for the link. I've seen that site before. The gal that built the Bounty Hunter was in the UK, however her page has not been updated in over 3 years.

In looking at the picture I posted more closely, I can see what I believe is a US license plate so Endoboy is probably right in that is was a modified body not a repro.

Thx again,
Tom

MickeyUSA Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:00 pm

you may want to go to the deserter web site, and ask on there. www.deserterownersgroup.org. Also a lot of info on the car there also.

Signman Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:56 pm

I like it!

Magoo_Sweden Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:04 am

There was a mould for the deserter Gt on sale here in sweden a couple of weeks ago. The price was about 500 USD.
I can try to investigate more if you want me to. (can take some time...)