TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pictures of the yellow 73, plus recent work done.
undertheradar Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:41 pm

So, after having the engine rebuilt a week after taking possesion of the car, I finally got around to getting some parts installed and cleaning the whole thing up. Installed a new glove box, abs center console,head unit, rear speaker, stripped the padded dash, bamboo tray, recovered doorpanels in vinyl to hide the speaker holes some previous owner had cut and put in the new over-the-hump rubber mats from BFY. All in all I'm quite happy with the results. The removal of the padded dash did onders for brigheting up the interior!

vkoser Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:57 pm

You have a very nice car there, it looks great!

chicagovw Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:47 pm

Nice looking car. Personally, I'd install earlier speaker grilles and glove box door, including the chrome trim, and black control knobs from a '66, as well as trying to find better fitting defroster/fresh air grilles.

german69 Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:07 pm

very nice car.

busfreak_71 Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:10 pm

Looks realy clean :!: 8) :)

Bugs69 Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:18 pm

Nice!

I have a yellow '69 with the black padded dash that is brittle and cracking. I intended to replace it with another/new until I saw how nice your "bare" painted dash looks. Good job.

undertheradar Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:39 pm

chicagovw wrote: Nice looking car. Personally, I'd install earlier speaker grilles and glove box door, including the chrome trim, and black control knobs from a '66, as well as trying to find better fitting defroster/fresh air grilles.
Any links to the earlier style grills? Something with a little more brightness would be cool. As for the vents, they really don't look that bad and they are in surprisingly good shape, so we'll just leave them.

A new steering wheel is definitely in order though.

crx81 Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:11 am

Looking good!
Yellow 73's RULE! :D

(mine before... I need to get an updated pic!)

odecom5 Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:21 am

crx81 wrote: Looking good!
Yellow 73's RULE! :D

(mine before... I need to get an updated pic!)

great looking beetles, both of you 8) if you don't mind my asking, do you know where you bought those tail light lenses? i've been looking for that exact kind for my '74. i've found some flat ones, but none that look like that. thanks!

ersatz Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:43 am

those taillights are beautiful! :D

mid america motorworks has soem for 40 and 50

http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=3.4594

crx81 Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:08 pm

odecom5 wrote: f you don't mind my asking, do you know where you bought those tail light lenses? i've been looking for that exact kind for my '74. i've found some flat ones, but none that look like that. thanks!

I got mine off of E-Bay years ago. Like ersatz mentioned, Mid America has them. One thing to keep in mind though, is that all the aftermarket lights are cheap and don't work as well as the stockers. However, I didn't have any of the troubles with those ones that I've had with the ones I'm currently using. The ones in that picture lasted about 2 years, and then had cracked / faded enough under the hot Florida sun that they needed replaced.

ersatz Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:18 pm

so did you go back to stock setup or just replace the flush ones?

crx81 Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:08 pm

ersatz wrote: so did you go back to stock setup or just replace the flush ones?

I still have aftermarket lights, but with the stock shape. I'm wondering though if I can use these lenses on the stock assemblies (as these assemblies are absolute GARBAGE).

It's a long story but, basically, I sold the car a few years ago and always regretted it. About 6 months ago, I found the car and bought it back. The guy I sold it to blew up my new 1915cc engine. He sold it to someone else who stripped the car of all the good stuff I'd put on (new tranny, rims & tires, etc.) and brought the car mostly back to stock. I bought it off of that second guy. After having made the mistake the first time of thinking that I could have a car that beat Mustangs AND would be a reliable daily driver (NOT!), I've taken the car in a different direction both visually and mechanically. Now, my goal is simply a reliable daily driver. Oh, and I'll NEVER sell it again! :oops: