TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Taillight options
Dolamite02 Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:38 am

I know this is the Thing forum, but the taillights are interchangeable. So,

I've been working pretty hard to keep my 73 Convertible Super Beetle as stock as possible, and to that end I'm trying to find NOS Hella taillights. The best that I've been able to find are Hella universal lights. The main difference is that instead of being specifically left or right side parts, the bulbs are all lined up in the middle so they can be switched back and forth. The outer appearance also varies, as can be seen here with an Omega original style first,

and the Hella universal style here,

The only other outside difference in appearance is that the base of the universal one is black instead of the brushed silver of the originals.

I really don't want to use Omega as their quality is severely lacking. I had one for about 4 years, and it's now faded to nearly clear while the original Hella lenses (34 years old) looked great.

So I'd like people's opinions on the two, should I keep looking, or settle?

Finally, if anyone knows where I can get a set of original style NOS taillight lenses or complete assemblies please send me an e-mail, [email protected]

Thanks in advance

By the way, here's a picture from several years ago of my baby,

Fun 181 Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:26 pm

I've been told that trying to find NOS Hella taillight and front turn lenses is pretty tough. Apparently, you can still get the right side tail lenses, but the left ones are few and far between. I've seen the right lens go for around $50 and the left lens for a lot more.

I think it's the same deal for the front turn lenses.

I was able to pick up a set of used front and rear lenses at a show last weekend. They aren't in the best shape (and the amber color doesn't match), but they are a lot better than the spiderwebbed originals I had.

I hate the cheap knock-offs that are made in China. They never fit right and, as you pointed out, they don't seem to last that long.

Big Luni Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:29 pm

That's disappointing to hear -- I've had a pair of Omegas on my CIP1 "wish list" for the next time I needed to put in a big order -- but if they suck, I'm not so sure. Anyone have a positive experience w/ the Omegas? At $80 a pair, I don't want to take my chances, but since The Thing is usually garaged, they should look better than my 33-year-old sun-cracked taillights.

bciesq Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:35 pm

Big Luni wrote: That's disappointing to hear -- I've had a pair of Omegas on my CIP1 "wish list" for the next time I needed to put in a big order -- but if they suck, I'm not so sure. Anyone have a positive experience w/ the Omegas? At $80 a pair, I don't want to take my chances, but since The Thing is usually garaged, they should look better than my 33-year-old sun-cracked taillights.

I have an Omega on the driver's side and Hella on the passenger. The Omega has noticeably faded compared to the Hella. Otherwise the build quality has been fine.

Dolamite02 Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:01 pm

Big Luni wrote: That's disappointing to hear -- I've had a pair of Omegas on my CIP1 "wish list" for the next time I needed to put in a big order -- but if they suck, I'm not so sure. Anyone have a positive experience w/ the Omegas? At $80 a pair, I don't want to take my chances, but since The Thing is usually garaged, they should look better than my 33-year-old sun-cracked taillights.

You may call clip1 and see which country the parts are from. As I understand, the Brazilian Omegas are the super cheap ones, in cost and quality. Next above those is Omega from Italy, who's quality is much better but still not as good as OEM Hellas.

What part exactly were you going to pay $80 for? I've scoured their website and many others but never saw any Omegas that high. They were usually around 25-35 bucks.

Fun 181 Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:29 pm

CIP offers these "Genuine Hella" lenses, but as you can see by the black housing, and the universal lens that they are not like the originals.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2DBAA%2D945%2D095%2DA

I searched CIP1, SoCal and Mid America for Hella taillight lenses and could only come up with this:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D133%2D945%2D224%2DA

These are the original lenses that came on the Thing (& beetle too), but like I mentioned, they don't have (or even list) any matching left side lenses.

There is a guy here in CT (Bug City) who said he would sell me an original left side Hella lens for $150 (I'm assuming it would be new), and yes, I said just the lens. He mentioned it offhandedly, but I don't think he was joking.

Economics 101: Supply and Demand. I think I'll keep searching swap meets for better lenses!

Dolamite02 Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:57 pm

Fun 181 wrote: CIP offers these "Genuine Hella" lenses, but as you can see by the black housing, and the universal lens that they are not like the originals.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2DBAA%2D945%2D095%2DA

I searched CIP1, SoCal and Mid America for Hella taillight lenses and could only come up with this:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D133%2D945%2D224%2DA

These are the original lenses that came on the Thing (& beetle too), but like I mentioned, they don't have (or even list) any matching left side lenses.

There is a guy here in CT (Bug City) who said he would sell me an original left side Hella lens for $150 (I'm assuming it would be new), and yes, I said just the lens. He mentioned it offhandedly, but I don't think he was joking.

Economics 101: Supply and Demand. I think I'll keep searching swap meets for better lenses!

I was looking at the top ones myself, they are genuine Hellas. VW changed a few details of the interior structure of the lenses in 75, so for a while Hella was producing a different model version for a two year period (73-72) as well as from 75 on.

It quickly became unprofitable for them to produce these two different models, as well as left and right versions of the same, so they created the "universal" model you linked to.

This one will work for all models from 73 on as the fender cut outs are identical. Further, they eliminated the left and right side issue by changing the lens layout from a cross to being aligned vertically.

The cost doesn't surprise me, for some reason everyone seems to have the right lenses and no one the left. If Hella were to reissue the original series in a few years, they'd make a killing. Good luck hunting.

Woreign Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:17 pm

The PO of my Thing bought the Omega brand lenses. They did not fit very well! The edge would not line up with the original light base, allowing a gap where water and debris could enter the housing and foul the inside. I sold them and bought the generic tail light assemblies as a replacement.

Maybe they fit their own reproduction bases, I don't know...

Big Luni Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:43 pm

Dolamite02 wrote: You may call clip1 and see which country the parts are from. As I understand, the Brazilian Omegas are the super cheap ones, in cost and quality. Next above those is Omega from Italy, who's quality is much better but still not as good as OEM Hellas.

What part exactly were you going to pay $80 for? I've scoured their website and many others but never saw any Omegas that high. They were usually around 25-35 bucks.

CIP1 sells Italian Omegas for $39.95 each. Here's a link:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D133%2D945%2D098%2DA
If you know of a cheaper source, I'd definitely be interested.

There are sure alot of "elephant foot" options, though none are ideal:
http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=133-945-09
Of these, I'd have to go with the Omegas.

The guys on the other forums would have a good laugh about all the commotion over one elephant foot light vs. another, but f#*% 'em!

Dolamite02 Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:02 pm

Woreign wrote: The PO of my Thing bought the Omega brand lenses. They did not fit very well! The edge would not line up with the original light base, allowing a gap where water and debris could enter the housing and foul the inside. I sold them and bought the generic tail light assemblies as a replacement.

Maybe they fit their own reproduction bases, I don't know...

If you have a 73 or 74 (or used assemblies from the same), there is a small piece of metal trim on the inside of the lens. Most likely, the lens although probably advertised as fitting "1973 and on" are actually for 75 and on. If you'll cut that metal piece back you should be able to get a solid fit again. You may also look into the rubber seals that are supposed to fit around the lens between it and the housing. Hope that helps.

emersonbiggins Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:15 pm

While searching for Hella lenses, I came across this recall that sounded interesting.
http://auto-recalls.justia.com/content/77V117000-VOLKSWAGEN-SUPER-BEETLE-1977.html

germansupplyscott Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:04 pm

Fun 181 wrote: I've been told that trying to find NOS Hella taillight and front turn lenses is pretty tough.

i should have some NOS hella german lenses for front and rear in late august. no idea on the cost at the moment.

when i restored our thing i searched high and low for NOS hella rear assemblies. the repros are crap and never look right to me. i finally found some that were not NOS, but as close as you can get without being in the boxes. someone bought a barn find thing and was going to modify th body. it came with new assemblies that had been installed right before the thing was put into 20-year storage, so they were basically brand new. i traded the guy a used 091 bus transaxle for them, which was a bad deal on my side, but i got what i wanted. i think he ended up selling his thing before ever finishing it.