TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Is Old Man Emu IT???
Mathew Zelezen Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:27 pm

Are Old Man Emu shocks the only full sets available to Syncro owners???

I can find rears in a couple different brands but no whole sets... what am I missing here?

iceracer Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:02 am

Try Vancafe, I think you can get Boge sets or even Bilsteins for the Syncro. I opted for the OME. Love them even though 100% of my driveing is on the road. They are pricey but feel good.

Dogpilot Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:20 am

Matt,
On the front you are kind of stuck with the OMEs or the Boge. The others can be fitted to the rear, but I do not think they are rated for the Syncro. I too put the OMEs on and They work quite fine. Not a huge difference from the Boge.

One thing you may want to do when you change out your shocks. Change the nut on the lower mount of the rear shocks from the original to a nylon locking style. Mine kept backing off on washboard roads. Luckily it was quickly apparent and the nut could be found on the road. Since I put the newer style nut, it has never come off.

Mathew Zelezen Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:56 am

OME's it is then...

Thanks for the tip on the replacement nut James.

remraf Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:14 am

Let me know the cheapest place you find them. Or if anyone could give me the OME part #'s I might be able to get them through a friend for less.

mellow cat Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:31 am

just a quick note. The Factory replacement BOGE struts are really really good. They are a notably different in terms of valving than the 2wd BOGEs and considerably more stout. In a long super harsh Baja adventure, in our group of 5 syncro vans, I saw a custom set of Bilsteins and a set of OME melt down while my Factory BOGEs where as good as new. Well not maybe new, but still if good shape. While OME are gas charged and appear to be the best/only option other than factory. Unless you are running a lifting/stiffer spring they are really not necessary.

OMEs are a 10 on the cool factor though.

MC

jayzoid Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:01 pm

Well that's good to know about the struts. I'm getting ready for a baja adventure and was wondering about those long washboards! Last time I was down there in 85 Toyota 4x4 Pickup and could fly over the washboards, wondering how it will be in a Syncro Passenger. I'm curious did you go on the beaches and do you have a VC or solid shaft and how did it perform in beach sand?

mellow cat Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:17 pm

Well I'll tell you what. You know the roads, you know what to expect.

In my opinion 15 inch steel wheels with a BFG all terrains inflated to about 30psi, 20 in the soft deep sand. 2 spares.

Solid shafts are a good option but I don't think neccessary.

Taller stiffer springs are key.....Those washboards are terrible, as you know in order to smooth things out you'll need to travel at about 60mph. It's the "rollers" in the road that will kill you at that speed. At 60mph, while having less vibration, you bottom out going of longer rollers. When this happens your butt will pucker and you'll begin to sweat. Stiffer springs will keep the chassis from "bottoming out." Believe me, when you "bottom out" over rollers on washboards at 60mph stuff starts breaking in a hurry.

Those road really are a double edged sword. Too slow=no teeth, too fast=stuff breaks.

Your stoked....counting the days for the next trip.....

Good luck......

allsierra123 Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:15 pm

makes me wanna convert to synchro. :D

vwsyncroguy Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:21 am

I have OMEs, and Synro.org springs but last year in Baja, the washboards were hard on My Syncro Westy. Traveled about 75 miles of washboards. My buddy who goes there often, said the trick is to "go fast"....about 60.

Lost one rear lower shock bolt....I''ll try the nylocks next time. Shocks were OK.

Lots of the interior of my Westy "came apart"... all the screws came out of the rail/shelf over the sink...and it fell down from the front.

My entire AC cabinet fell down from the ceiling, including the evaporator unit. Held up only by the hose attachments.

It took me a day and a half in San Diego at my friend's house to put everything back together.

Later, I learned that the trick is to air down your tires to about 20psi.

I now use a new question regarding anything I'm going to add to, screw into, or onto my van......"Is it Baja rated?" i.e. can it take a washboard pounding.

Warren

floggingmolly Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:50 am

Well I guess that answers my question about my 85 Weekender and Baja. This will be the first trip down with it, and we usually go to San Ignacio in March for the whale touching. That road is BRUTAL. First year I blew 2 tires on the way down (punctured) that 60 km road, mostly washboard. That was in a Grand Cherokee. I later found out at the Llanterra that I should drop the pressure to 20 psi. After that, no problems with punctures and a much smoother ride. And yes, you are correct, faster is better over those roads.

As for the Westy, I think I'll take the "taxi" down to the lagoon from the town. The $50 is money well spent to save the time in reassembling the van.

See you in Baja !!

otiswesty Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:37 pm

I drove my 74 Westfalia up to Sierra San Pedro Martir 3 years ago. 3 hours of wash board. Slow going up due to low power and freaked out wife, no car problems. Coming down about 35 MPH completely killed the battery, no charge whatsoever. Also blew out a soft plug on one of the stock carbs, sucked lean and ended up burning out one side of motor. Also messed up the timing somehow so it backfired and ran like crap the whole limp back to San Diego. I highly recommend the drive up there though, totally gorgeous and no one there. Bring a little extra fuel :oops: and maybe some locktite.

Looking forward to the return trip in my Syncro :P

Baja rocks!

I have OME, nice ride.

floggingmolly Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:12 pm

I've been wanting to get up to that area for several years now. Hard to convince the wife it's a good trip, when the crystal blue water of the Sea of Cortez beckons. That and a trip to the oasis at San Ignacio area hard to beat. One day I'll venture up that way, I have heard quite a few good things, very recently, about the high country. The only bad I've heard is about the roads. Tiem to shop for a Syncro.

otiswesty Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:30 am

4wd isn't needed to get up there, the roads are pretty good. That said, it's packed dirt and pretty washboarded the whole way. It makes for some unpleasant hours on the road. You may need 4wd if you wanted to "shortcut" over to the Sea of Cortez past Mikes Sky Rancho. I haven't been on those roads though.

The trees up there are huge, 4-7 feet in diameter, too big to cut and carry with the primitive forestry techniques usually applied down there. The campsites are about an acre in size each, ten of them. The observatory staff are also very nice. The director gave us all a ride up the road in his LR, me, the wifey, 3 kids and even the dog :P .

The van has a 14 gal tank, 1/3 left by the time we got up there. Thank G_d the missus didn't notice, it would have been the final straw.

iamvwman Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:30 am

Has anyone tried the SACHS struts for SYNCRO?

Aside from OME they are the only other set I could find...............

Desperately need to change mine..................

Dogpilot Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:50 am

I really couldn't tell the difference from the OME and Boge. I was changing mine for calender reasons not because they where shot. I didn't know that Sachs even made a set. You may go over to Yahoo's Syncro area and pose the same question.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro/messages/39094?viscount=-30&l=1

sc-surfer Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:50 am

Can't speak to the OMEs personally but sorry to hear they may melt down in Baja. I have had that happen on several other vehicles but was hoping the OMEs could handle it. Has anyone considered any of the custom reservoir racing shocks out there? They are usually adjustable, re-valvable/rebuildable, and come in tons of custom lengths?????

The syncro has yet to make the Baja trip. Probably Jan . or Feb. '09. As far as tires go, definitely air down!!! Esp. on the Vanagon as it is not as stout as say a Ford F350 PU. The lower pressure really helps with traction and takes the sharp edge off the washboard. Have no fear, you won't miss out on the lovely mind jarring washboard experience, but you may keep your teeth and not lose as many nuts and bolts. I personally run anywhere from 12-25psi depending on surface condition and speed. Avoid the ultra low pressure if you want to go fast as you can roll a bead. 12-15psi is for sand and crawling through really nasty stuff, 18-25 is for the high speed washboard run.
I recommend carrying a good compressor (not a $29 FLAPS version). Better yet, run your A/C compressor into an onboard air system. I find that I change tire pressure several times a day in the back country.
As for speed, fast is usually the best as others have posted, but every road is different.