TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: running bad when gets hot!!!!!
Newfiething Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:09 pm

Just got thing on the road.I can drive for 30 - 40 minutes no problem.But it seems if any longer car starts to miss and back fire.Also will start very easy when cold but cranks over often before starting when hot.ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Woreign Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 pm

Fuel delivery problem? You might have some debris in the fuel line that flows back and forth between the tank and the carb. At rest the debris moves toward the tank, then as you drive, it gets sucked toward the carb where it causes a blockage.

Towel Rail Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:01 pm

Checking your timing and valves would be a good idea, too, even if they turn out not to be the cause.

Ferretkona Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:03 pm

I had a 68 Volvo 1800 with the same problem, I could drive it all around town with no problems - little trips. A few road trips showed me that once it ran a hour or so it would not start up after stopping.

My motor was simply worn out! Cold it had compression and could create the vacuum needed to draw fuel/air in. Very warm/hot motor had little compression and did not want to start up.

Or it could just be the time to rebuild the carb.
I would do a compression check when warm.
So hard to diagnose without hearing it, smelling it or driving it.
The John Muir book is a pretty good book to read when you have a VW. The title is "the idiots guide to keeping your VW alive" or something like that. :roll:

Ian Epperson Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:38 pm

Missing means fuel's not burning (or not there)... but backfire is fuel in the exhaust system. My guess is that it's an ignition problem of some kind.

kevin11 Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:00 pm

coil?

mickeything Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:36 pm

i just cured my wifes thing of the same problem. regapping the points and new plugs cured it. i also ordered in a condenser but didn't need it. the condenser and coil are oil filled and can do this when hot if old loose their cooling ability