TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Operation Slam the Smurf Page: 1, 2  Next
wonword Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:03 am

Before:

I got the front all worked out, here are some pics of it with some mad rake

But my back was too high! The bolts were rusted, and i knew without hight heat I would surely brake them. Plus, I needed some other things tightened up with an impact, so i needed to get it to a guy who knows dubs in WI. I was having troubles finding a truck, but then Kretty said he could, so i was like why not? Well, it was a kinda scary ride, my beam is narroed so much that my wheels wouldnt sit in the tow dolly cups at the same time. And the strap kept coming loose haha. Not to mention it was being towed by a small lowered 4cyl S10.

And of course it was bottoming out on the dolly with it aired all the way up

Well, I got the call that he was done and didnt break any bolts! Yeah, and this is how it turned out.

But there was one problem, it was now to low to use the tow dolly. So time to drive it home! It was pretty much the scariest ride of my life, as im not used to adjusting bag pressure yet, and there is not much "give" until i am not able to turn and the tires are rubbing the fenders. SO i drove with the bag aired all the way up, and lets just say that im sure i got air on some bumps! My head even hit the roof a couple times and there is like a 1ft gap between my head and the headliner. Anyway, my trip started with fingers crossed(oh, and BTW my car has been running shitty and died many times until we got it going, and once on the road).

And here are just a couple pics i quickly snapped

Of course its not done, but special thanks to all of these people who have helped me out so far:
Steve
Bee
Mike
Peter
Hank
PS-Its laying frame on 17"s
I need more aircooled buds/gurus in MN, so please let me know if you live here. Thanks for looking!~John

Dubbin68 Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:46 pm

Looks great man...like the look of it now better than before, good work

Im from MN here and i may not be a guru but i do own a few old vdubs...arent you a membe rof the twin cities vw club?

gostros Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:23 pm

Nice work. I like it =D>

wonword Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:07 pm

Thanks guys! Yes, I just joined the TCVW Club this spring, i am the guy with the curly hair and black button down in the pictures from the tune up session from our last news letter. I work the nights they meet, and havent met too many people into ACVW's. especially here in the cities.
Oh, also, my next plans are to get the engine running reliably. get different tail lights, get some older style mirrors. I think it looks pretty cool for a fat chick

AJ Quick Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:15 pm

Looks good.

I'm in Minnetonka.. but I haven't gotten around to joining the club. I'm still restoring my car.

Where abouts are you?

wonword Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:24 pm

AJ Quick wrote: Looks good.

I'm in Minnetonka.. but I haven't gotten around to joining the club. I'm still restoring my car.

Where abouts are you?

cool, im located in St. Paul, by the fair grounds

AJ Quick Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Cool! I just moved from there..

I used to live on Hubbard Ave off of Snelling by Hamline Univ.

wonword Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:18 pm

AJ Quick wrote: Cool! I just moved from there..

I used to live on Hubbard Ave off of Snelling by Hamline Univ.

Awesome, i study at hamline all the time. Do you ever bring a aircooled down to university ave on the weekends?

vwdmc16 Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:58 pm

clean but id nick the cat eye covers mate :wink:

wonword Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:15 pm

vwdmc16 wrote: clean but id nick the cat eye covers mate :wink:

haha thanks, but i love the cat eyes. its either the cat eyes or the headlight visors. does anyone know where a good right up to make a sunvisor for the windshield is? they are really expensive!

AJ Quick Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:16 pm

wonword wrote: Awesome, i study at hamline all the time. Do you ever bring a aircooled down to university ave on the weekends?

I will once its running. Hopefully before it starts getting cold out.

wonword Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:25 pm

AJ Quick wrote: wonword wrote: Awesome, i study at hamline all the time. Do you ever bring a aircooled down to university ave on the weekends?

I will once its running. Hopefully before it starts getting cold out.

cool, let me know when you head down there! I will meet up with you! That is if mines running also :lol:

vwbusbusvw Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:35 pm

:shock:

slammed68bug Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:13 am

NNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

wonword Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:46 am

4Doora Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:42 am

Sweet ride, can she dance? :lol:
Not a big fan of those taillights though.
I could see them fitting in if the chrome part was painted the same color as the car :idea:
But hey, it's your car and it looks great! 8)

wonword Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:44 am

4Doora wrote: Sweet ride, can she dance? :lol:
Not a big fan of those taillights though.
I could see them fitting in if the chrome part was painted the same color as the car :idea:
But hey, it's your car and it looks great! 8)

Ha, it cant hop because the bag is too small. im running 1/2 hose and connections every where, so it should be able to though. Im not a big fan of the tails either, i got them fr $15 shipped for the whole assemblies, thats the only reason i got them(the little plastic cap that give color to the bulb melted on my stock tails, plue they were cracked and such)

Major Woody Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:32 pm

Those drums r sweet. What color yellow did u use? Im looking for drums that r cast yellow so they dont need paint. Holla back

eddiemoney Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:37 pm

wonword wrote: ~John

time to detail out those inner fender wells

wonword Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:23 pm

woody, i just used yellow engine enamel.

and the whole car has to be detailed haha