TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wiring by battery -help!
Celthing Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:14 pm

Here are three cut wires just to the left of my battery, coming out of the engine compartment. Any clue what these do?

Towel Rail Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Those look like the wires to the test network. The 1972+ computerized diagnostic system had a couple connections to the battery, one being a fluid test(!): http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_std_super_72.jpg

Celthing Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, did that diagnostic system ever even work?

Here is another pic.

what does that yellow wire with the green stripe go to? The green and red splices (poorly) into a black wire that goes to some engine sensor.

If you can answer that one, I have about four more questions...for now.

Towel Rail Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:15 pm

I dunno. You'd have to ask someone who was alive in the 70's. :lol: It was a promising setup, though, and led the way for today's systems, like OBD.

That yellow-and-green wire is, yep, another diagnostic connection (#13 in that electrical diagram.)

Celthing Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:18 pm

Man, you are making me very happy. Of course, my lights still don't work!!

What about this blue jobber hanging out from under my fuse box?

With all the Samba help, I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

npconnor Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:32 pm

What wiring guide are you using? Are you even using one?

Towel Rail Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:37 pm

I'm going from the 1972 Beetle diagram, and hoping it didn't change drastically. The 1973+ diagrams suck ass.

But, on edit, we should make sure, so let's look at the 1973+ wiring diagram and the wiring guide. (Click to embiggen them.)

Celthing Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:07 pm

Yep, I have the thing wiring diagram, the ROMTOC CD, and all the diagrams off of The Samba. The Thing Wiring Diamgram that I got from the Thing Shop appears to be the closest to correct, but it still isn't good enough for someone who knows nothing about auto wiring. I'm sure I'll pick it up as I go along.

Fun 181 Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:29 pm

Awesome. I have the exact same wires that are cut just like the ones in the first photo. I had no clue what they were for and now I know. Thanks guys.

Towel Rail Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:42 pm

One dilemma about my upcoming restoration (now that I have another VW to drive) is whether I'll keep *any* of the diagnostic stuff. Sure it's useless now, but if I remove the big plug in the engine compartment along with all the extra wires, will I regret it someday?

Who knows, perhaps in a few years, a Samba member could have stumbled upon a VW diagnostic computer, restored it, and the hot thing at car shows will be to plug your late-model car into it and watch it work! :lol:

germansupplyscott Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:46 am

for a modified car i don't think it matters, but if the wires to the test port are intact, i would would vote to leave them, especially if the car is going to be restored to original condition.

the test port wires are knitted into the main harnesses and it is impossible to remove them without cutting, which i don't enjoy doing. the only one on my 74 that doesn't theroetically work is the one that is supposed to be attached to the battery fluid level sender: they don't make that type of battery any more.