TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Berrien Buggy Delivery Trip MI,OH,WV,VA,NC.......
247vws Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:12 pm

Hey guys,
The folks at Berrien Buggy called tonight and they are planning a delivery trip down my way. I wanted to let you guys know that if there is anything I can help you get this is the time to do it!

There will be considerable savings by getting in on this delivery run.
They will be bring me a body and Nostalgia Chassis with floor.

First come fist serve while there is room on the trailer.
I can help store for you too if needed temporarily.

The delivery trip will be between August 11 and 20 ish.
To be determined by response. This is a big chance to get some serious savings on large item frieght delivery...

Send me a PM or post here....

Side Pods???
Windshields??
Chassis??
Rail kits???

The more we all order the cheaper the delivery is for everyone.
See the website for everything they sell at
www.berrienbuggy.com here is some quick notes...
Nostalgia Body Hood and Dash $1,150 plus T&D
Nostalgia Hardtop $ 415 plus T&D
Bubble side pods $205 plus T&D
Windshield and glass $205 plus T&D
Chassis and fiberglass floor complete $1112 plus T&D

dlund Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:42 am

I'm already scheduled get a Nostalgia Body and Square Tube Chassis from them at the Manassas VA show on 9/2. I'm curious about your dates. Are they planning an earlier run?

Dave

247vws Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:23 pm

Yes, I know they will be in Manassas for Labor Day Bugout as always.
They told me the will be going to NC the week of the 11th maybe.... and be able to meet me in WV.
John

Dunebubby Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:23 pm

As I've pointed out before the crating is substantial on Berrien stuff.My understanding is a "show delivery" (or delivery trip like you have planned),saves you that money. Seriously,if your thinking about getting one that's the way to go.NOW'S the time!

I would if I could! Just my .02

lawbreaker2 Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:50 am

Can I ask, if you buy a chassis, how do you get it reg. with no numbers on it. Cuz I have thought about a new chassis.

Dunebubby Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:25 pm

lawbreaker2 wrote: Can I ask, if you buy a chassis, how do you get it reg. with no numbers on it. Cuz I have thought about a new chassis.

Here's my take on that.......Much like when a trailer is manufactured and a number is stamped into it,I can't see why you couldn't stamp your number on the frame.It's not like you've covered up or destroyed another number to stamp yours onto it.Nothing sneaky or illegal from an ownership standpoint provided you didn't steal your frame. What would be helpful would be if Berrien had an "unofficial" official spot they recommended you add/stamp your number. That way the common answer could be,"yeah the number can be found......(name your spot)."You would of course want to have your body on your frame,(not old pan) if you were going down for an initial registration.Here in California I've seen the CHP stick replacement vin stickers on the pan sometimes.On the Body sometimes.Sometimes on the tub,(usually) and once on the dash.When mine was inspected the officer was going to stick it on the dash but decided that looked a little too removable so he stuck it on the tub as close to the lower left corner of the window as he could.Yeah,........right where my knee rubs it and it gets plenty of sun so I can hopefully go fight another round for a replacement once it's destroyed.I can't wait....... :roll:

Currently the tag on the tub matches the number on my pan because I begged and pleaded and the cop finally agreed that it did kind of make sense since the number on the pan was still legible.The tags I've seen on pans incidently were over the original vin. The thing is if you have a replacement vin number and get inspected or pulled over That official replacement vin tag should be all thats referenced unless an elaborate ring of buggy thieves pops up and an increase in stolen bodies start showing up on legit pans/frames or vise-versa. That's just not something I'm going to worry about.

dlund Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:41 pm

I think every state is a little different. NY for once looks to not be too bad a place to live. They have a procedure for obtaining a VIN from the state. One of the check boxes under reason on the VIN application form is: "Vehicle is Distinctive, Special, Custom built or Homemade." That's what I'm going to use. But that is actually the second step of the whole procedure. First you have to have the thing inspected by the state to determine if it can be registered. I know somebody who went through it and had no problems. His car was a scratch build stretched beetle body on a Corvette chassis and he had no problems! They have a list of things they look for. It's all the things you'd expect like lights, brakes, horn, mirrors, speedometer, safety glass windshield, etc.... The only gotcha, and this doesn't seem too bad is that it has to be equipped with "all emission control devices based on the year of the engine" I actually don't know the year of the case on my engine at the moment since even though it came out of a 74 standard, I know they exchanged the engine with a new longblock at some point. Need to check on that. The twist I believe is that even though you need the equipment to be there, I think vehicles over 25yrs old are exempt from emission tests. Not sure if that applies either. Still learning, but that's what I know about NY so far.