TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Questions about converting a kit car
v8widowmaker Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:01 pm

Hello folks,

I have a truly weird project in mind so bear with me on this one. I posted this on the Vanagon section and got a few responses but thought I would have better luck here.

I would like to know if there is an adapter or if it's possible even to take a kit car that uses a VW pan and mate it with a Turbo Diesel Vanagon motor. The reason I want to do this before you all think I am totally off my rocker....

I want to make a diesel vehicle that runs on waste vegetable oil but don't want the normal nissan, mercedes etc. I want something unique, like a Bradley or Kelmark.

So is it possible?

Elwood Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:30 pm

I don't see why you couldn't do it.
Anything is possible, I have seen the watercooled Vanagon motors in Beetles before and I imagine if you used the Vanagons transmission it would be even easier.
Go for it ya hippy. :lol:

nomis Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:03 am

would that not be a golf turbo diesel?

Letterman7 Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:58 am

As long as you can make it fit the chassis and under the bodywork, go for it!

madmike Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:21 am

Sound like your tired of the gas prices :cry: arn't we all?? I just got a Laser 917 and I love the 55-60 mpg down to 25mpg I'm getting ( just got to quit show'in off :wink: ) I built a 1641 with a 34 solex that needs rebuit but i don't want to mess up the gas milage,LOL, cheap headers and a 010 dizzy,I didn't think an airodynamic body would make so much differance!!! and here's a plus" No bug guts on the windsheild!!!" and I've been driving it for a month or so,I think I can do better(mileage) if i switch to a 3:88 ring&pinion later down the road,Madmike