TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Racing back on the street Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Sector3 Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:54 pm

71 super

I'm putting back on the street.

with all that lacquer paint I have a lot of sanding to do.

[/url]

a.wilson Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:06 pm

Old skool racer! 8)

Whats the plan for it... Stock?, street?.

JR.LBR Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:19 pm

a.wilson wrote: Old skool racer! 8)

Whats the plan for it... Stock?, street?.

i think the name of the thread sorta answers your question.. 8)

B-boyblue Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:20 pm

I love that! Those centerlines look brilliant on it!

Nice one

a.wilson Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:23 pm

JR.LBR wrote: i think the name of the thread sorta answers your question.. 8)

#-o D'oh. Sorry 'bout that. Senior citizen moment!!. at age 28

JR.LBR Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:24 pm

B-boyblue wrote: I love that! Those centerlines look brilliant on it!

Nice one

X2..
id leave the paint.. and stickers.. LOOKS SICK.. all vintage looking.. with that Gasser look..

Jr.LBR

JR.LBR Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:25 pm

a.wilson wrote: JR.LBR wrote: i think the name of the thread sorta answers your question.. 8)

#-o D'oh. Sorry 'bout that. Senior citizen moment!!. at age 28

actually i could be wrong.. the name of the thread sorta goes 2 ways.. so.. i could be wrong too..

JR.LBR :wink:

B-boyblue Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:30 pm

Damn right! the race paint looks so sweet..

Sector3 Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:56 pm

Thanks,
but the panel paint job is going.
It doesn't look so good close up.
it's nearly 35 yrs old and its come off at some spots

I raced it after my father built & raced it at US30. If anyone remembers that track your showing your age. haha

I'm losing the flared fenders and going with 2 in. fat fenders. I thought of useing the recessed hood but I'm not sure yet. I got the original parts from it and the old roll cage was only bolted in. I'll be posting updated pics as I go.

JR.LBR Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:00 pm

yes.. post more pics please.. during the build

im looking foward to seeing this monster come back to life..

Jr.LBR :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

bugginmiami Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:04 pm

A vote for keep the paint. Some chrome 4 lug sprints, some old school empi accesories, nerf bars, lower it and a potent little street motor and that would be a cool looking ride. I'd love to a find a vinage racer for a simular project, an older body though.

JR.LBR Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:48 pm

bugginmiami wrote: A vote for keep the paint. Some chrome 4 lug sprints, some old school empi accesories, nerf bars, lower it and a potent little street motor and that would be a cool looking ride. I'd love to a find a vinage racer for a simular project, an older body though.

yup.. once again.. i have to say like i did earlier.. keep the paint. even if it looks faded up close.. then again.. thats just my .02 c'

Jr.LBR

Oldnslow Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:01 pm

Damn, The super beetle panel painted patina posse, a club of one. You can't argue with titles like that. Keep it looking just like it is. You might lose the 8 spokes and replace them with some centerlines (or such) on the back.

Skim Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:31 pm

Sector3 wrote: Thanks,

I raced it after my father built & raced it at US30. If anyone remembers that track your showing your age. haha

I'm losing the flared fenders and going with 2 in. fat fenders. I thought of useing the recessed hood but I'm not sure yet. I got the original parts from it and the old roll cage was only bolted in. I'll be posting updated pics as I go.

Thats more reason not to paint it. Once thats gone, its gone forever. I say keep the paint job for its character.

ivsamhell Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:44 pm

Skim wrote: Sector3 wrote: Thanks,

Thats more reason not to paint it. Once thats gone, its gone forever. I say keep the paint job for its character.

x2

if you paint it you just have a run of the mill 71 super. sure its a flat windshield super....but its a flat windshiled super...

Ian M Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:22 pm

Dude. That car is 20x cooler the way it is. The patina just makes it legit.

If you repaint that car,its ruined. It'll be just another shit box Super.

Lidpainter Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:34 pm

Ian M wrote: Dude. That car is 20x cooler the way it is. The patina just makes it legit.

If you repaint that car,its ruined. It'll be just another shit box Super.
I agree. The car's history makes it stand out. Repainting is a mistake. If you don't like the race look you should get another car.

mike yapps Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:27 am

I agree ! DON'T PAINT IT!! If you want a regular looking super, then sell it and by a stock one! I'm sure a lot of people would love to have that as it is.
I definitely would roll with it ... even if it is a super :D

Fattie Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:13 am

looking forward to watching the progress.....
also,don't paint it :wink: put the money saved on paint in the motor

JR.LBR Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:57 am

JR.LBR wrote: B-boyblue wrote: I love that! Those centerlines look brilliant on it!

Nice one

X2..
id leave the paint.. and stickers.. LOOKS SICK.. all vintage looking.. with that Gasser look..

Jr.LBR

SEE ... ALL THESE OTHER FINE FOLKS AGREE WITH ME FROM WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY FROM THE START..

LEAVE THE PAINT.. hard to find original paint like that .. :?

JR.LBR