TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need Help Identifying a Part...
splitbusdriver Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:59 am

My husband bought my Grandpa's bus years ago. My grandpa owned 3 buses and a bug that was my grandma's. Anyway, my grandpa gave my husband boxes of parts. We are getting ready to sell them, but on some items, I'm having a hard time identifying them. I have an unmarked gas cap, but I do not know to which car it belonged. Bus? Bug?? It is 2 1/4" wide and needs a good polishing. Does anyone here know anything about it? If so, thanks. If not, can you give suggestions on how to find these types of things out? I'll try to show a couple of pictures.

Herbie3Rivers Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:01 pm

It's certainly not a beetle gas cap like I've ever seen before. Probably bus.

splitbusdriver Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:27 pm

My husband thinks it may be an aftermarket part because it does not have a vw emblem.

Thanks for your help. You're the bomb!!

Mr. Loaf Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:48 am

Your gas cap looks like an after market cap for an early, 68-72, Bay Window Bus.

RHD Notch Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi...Found this script Volkswagen emblem in a box and was curious as to its origins. No part numbers or casting marks whatsoever. Three mounting pins on the back...barely over 6" long. IIRC, I've seen these on the hoods of oval era Beetles, but wasn't sure if they're factory or aftermarket...seems too small for a hood though.Thanks

Blue Baron Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:14 am

It's a hood script. It commonly mounts at an angle next to the Wolfsburg crest.

RHD Notch Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Blue Baron wrote: It's a hood script. It commonly mounts at an angle next to the Wolfsburg crest.

Thanks for that Blue Baron...