TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What are the VW shop labor rates in your area?
Lo Cash John Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:19 pm

I've got basically the same topic going in the Performance Engines Forum so if you've posted there, cool.

I'm just curious how much your local shops charge per hour and what type and quality of services do they offer?

You know:
Stock repairs only
Stock engine rebuilding
High performance engines (built in house)
Transmission building (stock or performance)
Fabrication
Electrical
Good or bad reputation?
Good at some things but not others?

I'm guessing a lot of people here are DIY type folks, but if you have solid info on a local shop around you post it.

darkdune Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:21 pm

There is a shop near me called Vee World, and he has been in business for 40 years.. Has about 40 air cooled vw's behind his shop that are rotting away. I'm not sure what he charges everyone else as I have become pretty good friends with him, and he doens't even do up a bill when I pay him. He is getting very old though, and is losing interest. His son runs the shop now, but is only interested in water cooled, and knows next to nothing about air cooled, and doesn't seem motivated to learn.
He has the title to all the beetle's in the back of his shop, but most of them are un salvagable. Next time I'm there I'll snap some pics of his bone yard.

I've searched high and low for a mechanic in my area that knows anything about air cooled engines, and have been un successful. A lot of guys are willing to work on it that I've talked to, but want nothing to do with sourcing parts for it.

-Alex

BugZyla.com Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:45 pm

$40 per hour. Mesa AZ 480-545-1400 we do everything from stock repairs to pan off builds. Mainly offroad stuff, but will do most work on type ones, rails, bajas, buggys, & kit cars.

90volts Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:56 am

$40-$70 at the places i have been to. and none have been worth that much money.

vwracerdave Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:58 pm

Shop rates are going to vary around the country according to the cost of living. Around here in Oklahome $55-$75 seems to be what is charged at full time shops.