TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bucket Seats
rckclmer Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:23 pm

I have cut out the steel seat frames in my dune buggy. I now have the empty floor pan. I want to mount fiberglass low back buckets. However, the floor is not level. What can I use to mount the seats to the uneven floor plan and how do I mount them.

artie8804 Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:40 am

On mine, I just took a piece of pipe and welded it to the sider frame of my seats. It was only in the rear and just ran a bolt through it right into the floor pan.

90volts Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:40 am

bunch of washers epoxied together to the preferred incline. longer bolts through the back than the front. i just did my PRPs like that. 100 times better.

5150bossman Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:17 am

I bolted a 2" x 3" piece of rectangular tubing laid flat to each side to use as floor mounts (I am running a 3" body lift for off-road). Then bolt the seat tracks to the top of the tubing.

Do you really want to go with the F/G buckets? They are uncomfortable after long periods of sitting, and offer no suspension what so ever. If you hit a pothole, the force gets transfered directly to your spine, even if you put the (extremely minimal) padding on them. I know someone that had those seats and hit a large hole off-road. Broke his wife's back!

I would go with a 21" wide fully padded or suspension seat. Much more comfortable, and look cool too. :D

tgodber Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:12 pm

I used seats from a Sunfire. I made my own brackets to attach to the sliders and then bolted to the floor. I am very happy with them, very comfortable off-road. I would not reccommend fiberglass seats if you plan on doing more than a trip around the block.
Height is a problem with some seats and I'm tall. I ordered a 3" taller windshield rather than having my rearend bouncing off the floor.
My 2cents.