TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Adapting modern steering wheel?
crx81 Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:47 am

I was just wondering if anyone has adapted a more modern steering wheel from any other VW model to fit their Beetle? What did you use? How did you make it work?
I was thinking that it might be possible to bolt one up to the correct adapter for my car, but I'm afraid to just start buying wheels in a hit and miss fashion to see what works...

Glenn Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:49 am

If your car is a 74 or newer you can mount any wheel that fits VW watercooled vehicles.

crx81 Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:53 am

Glenn wrote: If your car is a 74 or newer you can mount any wheel that fits VW watercooled vehicles.

Guess I should have provided that info :roll: It's a '73 Standard.

chicagovw Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:23 pm

I would think you could use the column from a 74-up standard and then be able to use the water cooled wheel.

Glenn Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:25 pm

chicagovw wrote: I would think you could use the column from a 74-up standard and then be able to use the water cooled wheel.
Sure, you can switch it.

davetaylor Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:38 pm

in my '79 i swapped in mk3 stuff and used a '92 steering wheel, but the column itself had to remain '79 to be the correct length. if you just use the steering wheel from 88+ cars you must also get the little collar from the column.

crx81 Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:35 pm

Glenn wrote: chicagovw wrote: I would think you could use the column from a 74-up standard and then be able to use the water cooled wheel.
Sure, you can switch it.

Any modding necessary to swap steering columns, or would it be a direct swap? That sounds like a plan if I don't have to custom fab anything to make it work.

Glenn Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:58 am

A 73 column should bolt right in. You'll have to swap ignition locks.

Charlie74Super Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm looking at using a VW OEM steering wheel from a late model VW, as well as turn signal / wiper switch. Wiring isn't so much a concern (I can rewire and setup relay systems for the redux of my car) but I'm wondering what's a direct bolt-on replacement and what requires modification. I have a 74 Super Beetle with the stock steering column. Thanks in advance!!!

Webb

Antonio Trejo Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:40 pm

The late mexican Beetles use VW steering wheels from late MK3 Jetta and Golf.

Bruce Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Charlie74Super wrote: .... what's a direct bolt-on replacement and what requires modification. I have a 74 Super Beetle with the stock steering column.
I installed a stock full leather 87 944 steering wheel onto my 75. No mods necessary.

Veedubaya Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Man, I would love to see the bug that this steering wheel is bolted on....