TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Clicking noise when turning left.
aguabonita Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:15 pm

I've got a clicking noise when I turn left. The noise doesn't occur when driving straight or turning right. I hear it most noticeably when the windows are down. It's definitely coming from the left side (driver's side) of the van but it is hard to pinpoint exactly where. Could be the front wheel. My only thought is that it is the odometer cable. My speedo/odo are workin' fine though so it seems hard to believe it would be loose. It's a medium loud/medium pitch noise. Not a wa wa wa wa sound more like a click click click sound. It's frequency follows that of the speed of the van, such that the faster I go the higher the frequency of the sound, of course, only when turning left. Weird.
Any ideas?
Kev

levi Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:24 pm

cv joints? cv joints of course are in the rear...
I just recently put in new ones, so I didn't get to try this test, but I have heard one way is to go late at night to an empty parking lot. Roll down the windows, and drive slowly in a tight circle, one way and then the other. 1st gear and reverse.

aguabonita Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:44 pm

So if it is the CV joints how long can I go before doing more damage to my van or before turning the van into a safety hazard?

How can I tell if it really is the CV joints? Will there be cracking or splitting that is noticeable?
Kev

Randy in Maine Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:47 pm

Start by re-packing the front wheel bearings. They are supposed to be done every 30K. Pocket change to do and gives you the opportunity to examine the condition of the brakes.

Then finish by re-packing the CV joints. They are supposed to be done every 30K also. About $40 to do them all.

funagon Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:32 am

Ditto. Wheel bearings or CV joints.

bridgetroll13 Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:28 am

I started to hear a "clocking" noise recently ( a little deeper in pitch than "clicking) which seemed to go in time with wheel rotation and noticeable when turning left but not right. It also would go away when coasting or floating between acceleration and deceleration. I decided to pull the left half shaft. The outer CV joint looks like it is suffering from a lack of fresh grease for some time. I purchased a replacement as although it doesn't seem grossly sloppy, I suspect that it wouldn't have much life even if I did give it a thorough cleaning and repacking. Obviously as others have already suggested you should check the fronts if you are still not certain about the source.

I limped back from Maine to Delaware with it making that noise but it seemed like it was becoming constant whereas when it first started it would come and go.

Good Luck!

Erik D.

'82 diesel Westy 1.9 t

blackglasspirate Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:46 am

I had a similar problem when I first got my van, but it was more of a knocking noise than a clicking. It would only happen when turning right and came from the back. Turned out to be the rear axle.

aguabonita Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:06 am

my front wheel bearings were just repacked so i'm assuming i should get the CVs looked at. Thanks all.
Kev

levi Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:25 am

My limited understanding is like this, you can under there and grab an axle, and there should be play from side to side, but zero rotational play. By the way, you can reverse those cv's, since the wear force has been only in one direction so far. For instance put the right axle on the left side, with the joint that was hooked to the tranny, now hooked into the "dark cave".

jjgray Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:18 pm

Mine did the same thing. Clicking noise when turning right or left. Turned out to be my turn signal. :wink:

Apologies. Couldn't resist.

Alan Brase Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:44 pm

hwy1westy wrote: So if it is the CV joints how long can I go before doing more damage to my van or before turning the van into a safety hazard?

How can I tell if it really is the CV joints? Will there be cracking or splitting that is noticeable?
Kev
Sometimes the noise can be pretty loud, almost a snapping metalic noise. One thing you can do is inject some grease into the CV joint by using a small needle like a hypodermic. When you do fix it right, you should put in new boots anyway. By regreasing them when you first hear clicking, you can extend the life a VERY long time Back in the 80's, I bought a package deal on 8 joints. I put 4 new ones on my 78 bus in about 1986. I STILL have 2 left. In other words, thru owning 6 Vanagons, I've only used 2 new ones. Since 1990! And I have 4 running, 3 regularly driven Vanagons right now.
Those things are pretty durable!
Al

airkooledchris Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:02 am

my right rear (pass) side just started doing this this morning.
left turns you can just barely hear it, then it goes away once your moving with any kind of speed.

I JUST had the trans out, and while it didn't do this noise the first two days, it did this morning. im guessing that CV mount to trans is a hair loose, or just pulling it off/on was the last straw in its breaking.

madspaniard Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:07 am

airkooledchris wrote: my right rear (pass) side just started doing this this morning.
left turns you can just barely hear it, then it goes away once your moving with any kind of speed.

I JUST had the trans out, and while it didn't do this noise the first two days, it did this morning. im guessing that CV mount to trans is a hair loose, or just pulling it off/on was the last straw in its breaking.

I had exactly the same issue described, only in my left rear (driver) side. Replaced one of the CV joints on that side and problem solved.

airkooledchris Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:57 am

how did you determine which was bad? (inner Vs outer)

I am going to do what I can for free first, re-tighten it up and use the needled greesegun to refill it as much as I can, but this is the side I haven't done yet so im sure it'll be due soon if its not already trashed.

when I did the drivers side I just swapped out the whole axle with both CV's attached. (it was cheaper to do the whole thing at the time than just replacing a single CV)

madspaniard Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:14 pm

airkooledchris wrote: how did you determine which was bad? (inner Vs outer)

it was the outer. Determined by the mechanic (VanCafe) and I with the van up, us under, moving of the axel/CV joint until the noise came up. Peter at Van Cafe says it is not always easy to replicate the noise.

airkooledchris Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:31 pm

mine wasn't clicking before I removed and reinstalled the trans so im hoping for the best.
thanks for the tip. ill see if I can replicate the sound, but ive had a few go bad on my old bays and could never hear it unless I was driving under load...

right now it only does it with load, where if im at athe same speed but out of the gas it stops..

Phishman068 Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:18 pm

To give you some idea of just how long you can probably nurse a dead CV,
I've been driving my bus with a completely 100% torn CV boot for almost 8K miles over the course of about 2 years. It clicks a little, but not even that loud. It still has an acceptable amount of play, and i plan to pop it off and regrease/reboot them all here in the spring.

It hasn't exploded and left me stranded yet. They really are durable!
If you think it's a noisy CV, i'd try greasing it. If the boot is torn just take spoonfulls or screwdriver fulls and put them in it. If not, get a syringe and either inject grease or thick transmission fluid (or even motor oil) into there and see if that quiets it down. If it does, you just need to buy a new boot package with a boot, bolts, and grease, and just clean and reinstall. That's my gameplan at least.

airkooledchris Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:20 pm

well, tightening up the bolts on the trans side, the only side I had removed before, didn't change anything.
yet.

just went to the local warsh to clean up all the old grease and crap under there, so I can refill it with the needled grease gun and see where that gets me.