TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I found one! Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Leith Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:18 pm

A Thing that is.

Hi,
My name is Leith, and I am new here. I have been searching the Ads for deals and such, but just registered, mainly to get some Thing input.

I live in south Louisiana and have come across the remnants of a VW Graveyard. In the yard they have left 4 Buses (T-2s I believe), 3 Bugs, 2 Ghias, and 1 Thing. While looking at them, I noticed some do not have engines, including the Thing, which is probably the one I want the most. The top is gone, the pans are completely rusted out, the rocker panels will need work, the seats MAY (highly doubtful) be salvageable, and there is no engine. I will post a pic below. Body isn't in horrible shape, but this would also be my 1st restoration.

Here is my question:
For a Thing in this much need of TLC, what would be a reasonable price? I haven't had a chance to talk to the owner to see what he wants. I was just wondering what you, the experts, would be willing to invest.
Here is the pic:

ztnoo Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:24 pm

Only seeing one pic (which isn't sufficient IMO), I'd say $500-800 max.
My guess is there's some pretty ugly stuff in those rockers.
:shock:
$$$$$

Leith Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:29 pm

Yeah, I was running out of daylight, and that was the best one I had. If I go back soon, I'll post more.
Thanks,
Leith

Pinky Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:47 pm

Ooof- It's just my opinion, but judging from the pic, that's looks like it's gonna be an expensive undertaking. The rockers alone would be enough to scare me off.

I'd suggest trying not to nickel and dime yourself to death with that guy and save up a few grand and buy yourself a solid runner. You would be surprised what you can find in the 2.5-3k range if you take your time. Don't run for the first Thing that comes along. They're definitely out there and this is one of the best places to find them.

(Speaking from experience- I've bought waaaay too many rusty incomplete cars on impulse and have finally learned my lesson)

kuebelwagen84 Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:24 pm

ztnoo wrote: Only seeing one pic (which isn't sufficient IMO), I'd say $500-800 max.
My guess is there's some pretty ugly stuff in those rockers.
:shock:
$$$$$

On my car, I've already bought new rocker panels (from eis, something like $800 or so including shipping), floor pans (we'll call it close to $300), rear drums, fuel tank/lines, and mirrors and my car was still in better condition (though still not great in the least)

my Thing also has a very solid engine with 54,000 miles on it which in a way redeemed it somewhat and I paid $1500 for it... I'm able to do the painting and welding with a buddy of mine so I'll save alot in labor, another thing which can be very costly if you can't do it yourself

just know what you're getting yourself into, for that condition I would maybe pay 300-500 at the very most... I agree with the other guys, save up and buy a solid Thing, as you can see from all the money I've invested already, it would have been better if I did the same

Towel Rail Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:43 pm

Leith wrote: Yeah, I was running out of daylight, and that was the best one I had. If I go back soon, I'll post more.
Thanks,
Leith

Gotta have sunshine over Leith. :lol:

Welcome to the Samba!

mstatedog Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:53 pm

Looks a hair worse than mine when I bought it. Mine also had no engine. I paid $300 and spent around 7K to completely redo...and 2-1/2 years of my life. (weekends and some during the week....lots of sanding)

dog

FreakCitySF Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:41 pm

Would you consider making this Thing into a artificial reef?

Titanic picture anyone?

BugZyla.com Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:22 pm

Looks like you need a tetnis shot just to get near it. I think I would pass unless you can pick it up for $300-$400

Leith Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:57 am

First off, I really appreciate all the advice! I figured, especially not having an engine, that this project would definitely take a great deal of time, effort, and cash to get in a drivable state.
Quote: Looks like you need a tetnis shot just to get near it.

I felt the same way. The closest I dared get, mainly because of Wasps, was to see if it had an engine, other than that, I stayed my distance.

Quote: I think I would pass unless you can pick it up for $300-$400

I was actually going to start bargaining at around $200, hopefully they just want it gone.

Quote: Gotta have sunshine over Leith.

If I get this running, with the top down, I'll get plenty of sunshine. AND hopefully I won't have to Walk 500 Miles.

Again thanks for all the advice!
Leith

dr.ona Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:14 am

I would only buy that for the parts....That body isn't work restoring unless you can do the fabricating yourself.
I can guarantee that will nickel and dime you to death.... :x

bmwloco Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:13 am

I'd go $100, tops.

markie61 Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:20 am

bmwloco wrote: I'd go $100, tops.

This thread is starting to sound like a "bidding war" - only backwards!

Mark

ztnoo Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:04 am

Quote: This thread is starting to sound like a "bidding war" - only backwards!

I've changed my mind......$99 tops!!!
How about a reverse Bidnapper???
:lol:

Leith Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:15 am

I'll just take it off his hands for him. After all, I am doing him a favor! Maybe I should get him to pay me to take it!

bucko Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:17 pm

How fast can you run? I'd haul butt from this one.

Save a few extra bucks and add to your current stash, then get one with less body rot.

Repairing that much rot is going to take a hole lot of panels, and I don't think even Kubelman has that many spare body parts!

Leith Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:10 pm

Ok, so I went back this afternoon and braved the wasps and worse, big ass spiders to get a better look at the body work (of course I forgot my camera). The worst spot is the area on the driver side panel (other than the floor pans). All the other rust is just surface rust, from what I can tell. The engine and front compartments are spotless. The back doors may need to be patched or replaced, but I figures that is the least of my worries. I did get a glimpse at the transaxle from the engine compartment and it was better that I expected. It seems that the only major problem areas are where water sat for a while. And, of course, there is the small task of finding an engine...

All-in-all, I won't make any decisions until I find out what the guy wants for it.

Oh, I also got a Chassis Number:
183 2944 238E
It said Made in Mexico, but I haven't tried to find out what year. Anybody know? Nevermind, found it.

mstatedog Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:10 pm

ahh....but a thing beam will fetch about $300....and a gas heater? I see other good body parts...hood, fenders, bumper, seat backs, rear view mirror....

Semper_Dad Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Leith wrote: Ok, so I went back this afternoon and braved the wasps and worse, big ass spiders to get a better look at the body work (of course I forgot my camera)

.Oh, I also got a Chassis Number:
183 2944 238E
It said Made in Mexico, but I haven't tried to find out what year. Anybody know? Nevermind, found it.

Unless I possessed some special skills like metal fabrication and welding I probably wouldn't start with a vehicle in that bad of shape for a first project. Whatever you decision,...good luck on your search

Based on the VIN ( and lack of engine muffs), it should be a 73. As far as I know all 181s imported to the US (73 and 74) were assembled in Mexico.

emersonbiggins Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:01 pm

Borrow some money from someone and buy a Thing with less problems.