TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Project 65 Square Page: 1, 2  Next
DMNCLNR Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:59 pm

Picked this car up from a friend almost 2 weeks ago. With the inspiration of vintagevolks's 65 notch, I am applying oven cleaner to try and get to the original velvet green paint!

[/img]

vintagevolks Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:05 pm

Velvet green is a nice color.. Hows the oven cleaner working for you? Keep with it and it should turn out real nice. Our notch looks like a total different car now that its showing the original paint. If you need any help or advise feel free to give me a car. Keep the pictures coming of the progress..

DMNCLNR Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:12 pm

Coming along nicely. I have figured out that 2 hrs is the ideal time to just wipe away most of the primer. Unfortunatly it looks like they did a lot of prep work on the red repaint, so there is mostly factory primer under neath.. I will continue tomorrow and see what happens, the car looks a lot different then in the pics already! :wink:

[email protected] Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:26 pm

looks more like a earily 64 with the push button dash lookin good.

DMNCLNR Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:29 am

[email protected] wrote: looks more like a earily 64 with the push button dash lookin good.
It's a european model. They had push button dashes til mid 65 i believe... Definitly a 65!

notchback Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:41 am

DMNCLNR wrote: [email protected] wrote: looks more like a earily 64 with the push button dash lookin good.
It's a european model. They had push button dashes til mid 65 i believe... Definitly a 65! Are you sure? I was pretty sure that all Type 3's switched in mid 64. According to the parts book, the push button was only up to chassis number 423 139. Most pre-66 Type 3's were euro models since the US didn't get them until '66.

EverettB Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:23 am

I have never heard that either and have never seen a '65 with push-button dashes. Does the VIN # start with 365 under the front hood?

On the other hand, Velvet Green is a '65 color, not 1964.

Tram Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:50 am

notchback wrote: DMNCLNR wrote: [email protected] wrote: looks more like a earily 64 with the push button dash lookin good.
It's a european model. They had push button dashes til mid 65 i believe... Definitly a 65! Are you sure? I was pretty sure that all Type 3's switched in mid 64. According to the parts book, the push button was only up to chassis number 423 139. Most pre-66 Type 3's were euro models since the US didn't get them until '66.

That actually looks like a North American model- MPH, sealed beams, and solid red taillamp lenses. It might be a Canadian delivery, or it might be one of the few earlies that were imported "unofficially".

I agree that it's too late to be a true pushbutton car. Looks like somebody might have fabbed in the pushbutton dash. Also, it has white needle gauges- the white needles replaced red needles concurrently with the change to push- pulls in May of 1964, IIRC.

Even if it's a "Frankensquare", it's nothing to sneeze at! :D

DMNCLNR Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:33 pm

EverettB wrote: I have never heard that either and have never seen a '65 with push-button dashes. Does the VIN # start with 365 under the front hood?

On the other hand, Velvet Green is a '65 color, not 1964.
Yes the vin starts with 365, no fab marks apparent anywhere near the push button. I checked.. I don't believe the gages in the dash are factory, although I do have an extra trip speedo marked feb 2 that i beleive is original to the car. It is also MPH...

DMNCLNR Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:20 pm

Tram wrote: notchback wrote: DMNCLNR wrote: [email protected] wrote: looks more like a earily 64 with the push button dash lookin good.

That actually looks like a North American model- MPH, sealed beams, and solid red taillamp lenses. It might be a Canadian delivery, or it might be one of the few earlies that were imported "unofficially".

I agree that it's too late to be a true pushbutton car. Looks like somebody might have fabbed in the pushbutton dash. Also, it has white needle gauges- the white needles replaced red needles concurrently with the change to push- pulls in May of 1964, IIRC.

It could be a canadian car, maybe that would be why it has this dash in it, as canadian standard bugs kept a lot of early parts. Im giong to take a real good look at the push button area and see if it was fabbed in or not.

Tram Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:37 pm

DMNCLNR wrote: Tram wrote: notchback wrote: DMNCLNR wrote: [email protected] wrote: looks more like a earily 64 with the push button dash lookin good.

It could be a canadian car, maybe that would be why it has this dash in it, as canadian standard bugs kept a lot of early parts. Im giong to take a real good look at the push button area and see if it was fabbed in or not.

I think that the entire metal dash was fabbed in.

EverettB Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:11 pm

I was sort of wondering why the dash was not Velvet Green...

DMNCLNR Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:49 pm

The interior was painted black early in the cars life.. YOu can see where they scribed the names in the dash where it is velvet green. The metal dash was definitly not fabbed in, there are parts of velvet green that were unpainted as well. I chipped some of the paint off around the push button housing, and it was all green. If it was added on later in the cars life, they did a good job of hiding the recess for the pull switches. I think that this is definitly original.
The vin reads 315211xxx which makes it a may 65 car...

Feb 315 132 460 0 883 946 0 883 946 0 883 946 0 883 946 0 614 846 0 616 390

vic Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:00 pm

Nice find looking forward to see what it looks like with the og paint

'64cal lookdub Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:54 pm

That thing is badass. 8)

DMNCLNR Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:26 pm

vic wrote: Nice find looking forward to see what it looks like with the og paint

Thanks guys, I got a little more done, there is more og paint under the red and grey on the door and rear fender, but for the most part I think the OG paint is a loss... I still want to get the primer off so I can see any damage that was done to the car, rust, or where they used bondo.

1971SuperBeetle Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:36 am

Sweet Square.

DONGKG Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:58 am

Your squareback looks straight. With that sunroof, that is a Type 3 worth restoring. Your investment is safe. :D

DMNCLNR Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:10 pm

Some progress pics. This whole bringing it back to OG paint thing is truly an art, hopefully by the time im done I will be good at it.

DMNCLNR Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:13 pm

Tomorrow I hope to remove the headlights, blinker assembly, and finish the front fender, then get started on and possibly finish the door! The person who put the tan primer on wasn't messing around, i think there are about 5 gallons per fender, then I have to deal with the red paint beneath that, and the primer beneath that to get to the green!