TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Buggy Wiring
rodchuck Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:27 pm

I recently wired my fiberglass Buggy (to be street legal) from scratch using all new wire with a fuse box and switches that I got at the local auto parts store. Do I need to add relays into any of the circuits? I have read that some switches could overheat without them. If so, does anyone know what type of relay(s) I need, what circuits require them and how to wire them in??

Thanks, Rod

lostinbaja Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:44 pm

I used 1 relay for the halogen headlights, 1 for the brakelights, to save the brakelight switch and 1 for the high beam headlights.
I haven't had any issues in the 4 years the buggy has been on the road.

Lo Cash John Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:41 pm

High beam and low beam headlights were my only concerns. I don't think the tail lights draw that much power, but it's only one more relay and just a little more work...

lostinbaja Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:20 am

I used the relay in the brake light circuit because everyone I talk to is always replacing brakelight switches, especially when you add extra bulbs.
Oh, and it was only 1 more relay :D

rodchuck Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:18 am

How do you wire the relays into the circuit?? And where do you get the right kind of relay? I have a bunch of spare VW electrical components laying around, but don't know what one even looks like.

jspbtown Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:21 am

Bring power & ground to the relay, and utlize power from the switch to activate the relay. I use relays that are used for things like off road lights. I think I got a pack of 10 for $14 on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-PK-ALARM-REMOTE-...enameZWDVW

I used them here:

because the client wanted to use these switches:

I didn't think the switches could handle the load so I used them for the horn, wipers (nice for the auto-park feature), headlights, start switch, and flashers.