TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone have hood attachment pics?
bradnailer Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:08 pm

I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure my hood. Right now the only thing holding it down is the fuel filler in the hood attached to the tank.

Does anyone have some pics of how their hood is attached.

My dash is part of my hood if that helps any.

I read a couple descriptions but pictures really help me1 :)

Thanks!!

MURZI Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:15 pm

Brad here is a pic...not very good but....

Look at the hole just in front of the frame head on my kid's bike. It is where the dash comes down on the sides. Just two bolts. Two more bolts down around even with the headlight pods too. That is it.

Oil_Eater Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:25 pm

I don't know how others do it, but this is the way this body was assembled back in 1969. There are 4 or 5 1/4"-20 bolts that go from the inside wheel well through the lower lip of the hood. The nuts are on the inside (just above the gas tank area where the hood arches up).

Hope this helps. Don't drill too high, or you will be able to see the bolts from the top (looking in the crack between the fenders and the hood).

This pic is from the driver side wheel well.

Hope this helps.
Jay

Found the corresponding photo of the body. on the right fender, see how the holes are kept below the bend oft he fender? There was one original hole that was a little high and I could just see the bolt from the top, so I redrilled a hole next to it. The old hole is right next to the electrical tape roll. That will give you a good idea of what too high is.

bradnailer Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:51 pm

Thanks a bunch guys!!!

HeidelbergJohn4.0 Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:36 pm

Mine is held in by the bolts holding the windscreen frame in place. The front catches under the front of the body very snugly and there is no sign of anyone using bolts anywhere else.

donmac Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:40 am

Oil_Eater wrote: I don't know how others do it, but this is the way this body was assembled back in 1969. There are 4 or 5 1/4"-20 bolts that go from the inside wheel well through the lower lip of the hood. The nuts are on the inside (just above the gas tank area where the hood arches up).

Hope this helps. Don't drill too high, or you will be able to see the bolts from the top (looking in the crack between the fenders and the hood).

This pic is from the driver side wheel well.

Hope this helps.
Jay

Found the corresponding photo of the body. on the right fender, see how the holes are kept below the bend oft he fender? There was one original hole that was a little high and I could just see the bolt from the top, so I redrilled a hole next to it. The old hole is right next to the electrical tape roll. That will give you a good idea of what too high is.

How do you get to the nuts up front by the gas tank?

madmike Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:50 am

I just used the 4bolts on the windshield frame and ran a thick bead of Silicone adhesive down both sides frome the top, smooth with a wet finger :wink: been holdin since March,Two trips to the Drags, bumps on my Northern Michigan roads :shock: MadMike

Oil_Eater Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:51 pm

donmac wrote:
How do you get to the nuts up front by the gas tank?

Ahh, Good question! For the furthest forward ones, I simply taped the nut in the box end of the wrench... works every time, you just need to be patient.

The three closest ones I was able to reach with my arms.

Jay