TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New motor, and transmission install Page: 1, 2  Next
darkdune Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:30 pm

Hey guys, thougt I'd share some pics, and info on the motor I just bought from ACE (air cooled engineering).
2054cc type 1

74mm OKRASA forged crank, knife edged and rebalanced.
94 Cima (A) pistons.
DPR stoker rods, Type B,
AS21 German Fat Back fuel injected case, STD.
German 12 lb flywheel, balanced
Berg Cromolly gland nut, Tq’d to 400 lb
Engle FK-8 cam
German Wiseman lifters
New cam gear
Cromolly head studs (8mm)
044 heads, ported by DRD Heads and finished by ACE, Italian stainless valves, set up for .600” lift.
IAP Forged 1.4 rockers
Manton Pushrods, cut to fit
Push rod tubes are Stainless
Oil pump is SHADAK, Pump cover is a full flow (iron)
Compression is 8.7:1
Bosch 010 dist.
Dual Italian Weber 48 IDA's
match ported
36HP dog house
CB linkage

should be a lot of fun in my dune!

here's some pics

car it's going in

Glenn Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:35 pm

Nice... Art does awesome work.

MURZI Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:51 pm

I like to boogey...I like to jam :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sweet...... You are not going to believe how freakin fast that thing will be. Time for some solid tranny mounts and a moore mid mount. Seriously.....

Oz Towdster Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:21 am

Make sure you also brace the rear end of your engine horns up to the shock towers at the very least or the roll cage if you can as you will be wasting half your torque with horn flex not to mention horrible axle hop

OH AND NOW I'VE HAD A BETTER LOOK AT YOUR CAR FIT A REAL ROLL BAR NOT A STYLE BAR AS YOU CURRENTLY LOOK TO HAVE.

darkdune Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:51 pm

does anyone think i'm going to have clearance issues with the carbs hitting my rear glass?

Yellermanx Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:14 pm

The carbs may or may not be an issue. Every buggy is different although it looks like you may be OK.

What's a "Fatback Case" :?: :oops:

darkdune Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:05 pm

fatback case is the most sought after case.. it's OG and it is very thick behind #3 from the factory..

you know how some cases are welded behind #3, well this AJ case was the solution to having to do this

vw (o\!/o) nut Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:15 pm

Oz Towdster wrote: Make sure you brace the rear end of your engine horns up to the shock towers or the roll cage if you can.

X2 :!:

Glenn Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:45 pm

Yellermanx wrote: The carbs may or may not be an issue. Every buggy is different although it looks like you may be OK.
Air filters will be a problem.

EMPIImp69 Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:09 am

You should be able to plumb the air filters so they point to the fanshroud at right angles, this may be harder with 48s though, otherwise you may need to notch out the glass supports in the back.

67ghiaTIV Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:50 am

Alex,

You might want some bigger meats on the back to match your motor. LOL

Swing on by when the motor get in.

I got the austin buggy running, it was a simple carb problem.

Jamie

darkdune Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:21 pm

yeah i'm not installing the motor until the winter... so you'll see it next spring!

superbuggy2165 Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:37 am

Nice motor, should be a buggy to be very proud of, don't EVER sell your car, you'll regret it fast!...

darkdune Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:33 pm

picked up my Mohr mid-mount the other day, got it powder coated black

now i just need to buy some CB mounts and my kafer bar before installing the new motor and trans.. don't want any wheel hop, or bent frame horns.

lostinbaja Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:25 am

That engine should move your buggy around with a bit of authority!
You will probably have an issue fitting IDA's under the back of your buggy. On a friend's buggy we cut the manifolds apart and rewelded them with the carbs further forward so they would clear the body without cutting the body up. It's a lot of work but you have all winter :D
I'd keep the small tires on the buggy, it saves on transaxle repairs.

darkdune Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:45 am

yeah im worried about fitting the carbs.. but like you say, ill have atleast 4 months to figure out what i'm going to do to fit them..

i wouldn't be that upset if i had to notch the glass alittle

but until i get the motor i cant do much!

im so excited though

lostinbaja Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:06 pm

Since you don't have your engine yet, you might want to consider swapping the IDA's for a set of IDF's. IDF's would give you a much better chance of slipping the engine right in. Granted the IDF's don't have the visual impact that IDA's have.

darkdune Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:40 pm

i have a 2/ 1/2'' lift at the back of the body.. i'm hoping it will slide right in

if not im prepared to notch the glass.. i already paid for the IDA's.. no turning back now

especially since i got a GREAT deal on the ida, and the linkage and manifolds

darkdune Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:36 pm

okay, my motor, and transmission have finally reached the shipping stage, and will be shipped out tomorrow, kinda glad it took a while to ship, let me re gain some funds, and have more time to collect parts needed for the install, like my CB mounts, and my mohr mid mount, and my kafer bar, boo ya

few pics
running on the dyno

SiggyManx#33 Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a pallet full of horsepower.

Enjoy~