TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Webber 40 carb help Page: 1, 2  Next
lazybonz Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:28 pm

Hey guys this is driving me nuts i have a 1914cc with a webber 40 carb
I cant seem keep it running without it stalling soon as i take my foot off the gass it stalls. I ajust it get it to run then it just dies. i think its a carb issue and I can't get the ajustment right
Does any of you guys have the proper ajustment settings.
Thanks

darkdune Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:47 pm

maybe it's time for a rebuild. contact mharney and he will be able to help you figure out your carb problem

clearsurf2001 Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:23 pm

Is it a 40 IDF? Single centermount? Has it ever run right?

dirtbug Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:17 pm

My brother had the same problem. He went with a larger jet, I'm just not sure which one. He had the same combo, a 1915cc with a single 40 weber. He called Redline direct. He said they were real nice and gave good advice. You can find there number in HotVWs.

My post is kinda vague, but I hope it helps.

5150bossman Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:24 pm

I've posted this before. Give this site a good read over. It has lots of great Weber info.

http://www.racetep.com/webtechpage.html

clearsurf2001 Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:52 am

5150bossman wrote: I've posted this before. Give this site a good read over. It has lots of great Weber info.

http://www.racetep.com/webtechpage.html

The site in this link has many factual errors. I'd suggest a bit more research.

vdubyah73 Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:32 am

If it's an IDF probably plugged idle jets or idle jets to small. Try blowing out the jets and the hole they came out of with carb cleaner, use the red straw on the nozzle. Take the mixture screw out too and do the same. Then find mharney or the aircooled.net site for tuning info. If you have a Webber progressive, I haven't a clue.

bill

5150bossman Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:20 am

Quote: I'd suggest a bit more research.

Clearsurf, please don't leave us all in suspense :o . As I, and many others out there do not know much on carbs, please enlighten us as to what the bigger of those errors are :shock: . Any help is always appreciated.

clearsurf2001 Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:15 am

I'm not sure if bossman is being sarcastic, but, since you asked. The first time someone opens their "out of the box" series 70/40 IDF's and finds 28mm venturis, instead of the 36's listed in racetep's baseline jetting chart ... perhaps confusion will result? How about the "float level" diagram ... no mention of the upper gasket being part of the measurement? No mention of an ammended lower level (float drop) measurement for off-road use? No mention of a kit to help eliminate clogged idle jets for off-road use? Recommending 4psi fuel pressure? Timing recommendations suitable for a V8. vdubyah73's suggestions about Mark Harney (waitresses.servebeer.com:81/vwpage/) and John Connolly (aircooled.net) are right on the money. I guess that's what I meant. Sorry for the suspense 8)

5150bossman Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:44 pm

Hey, I knew nothing about carbs when I started. That site has been a tremendous help to me. For the most part, it has steered me in the right direction to keep my carb running, stumble and hesitation free. I do run a tad fat, but on long trips, I still get better mileage with my single IDF 40 than others with dual carbs. Being pointed to other helpful web sites, and the insight of others is always appreciated. We tend to forget that with everything we learn about this hobby and the experience gained, there are others just starting out that need as much guidance as they can get. Links are also appreciated too. :D

Thanks

clearsurf2001 Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:14 pm

5150bossman wrote: ... there are others just starting out that need as much guidance as they can get...

Exactly. As you've, no doubt, found ... attention to detail with Webers goes a long way. A lot of websites have an amalgam of partial info and info that is geared toward applications other than VW. If someone is introduced to Webers without the basics to refer to ... they get frustrated. 40 IDFs are my first choice. When they're set up right ... bliss. BTW ... Mark's latest URL is http://www.carburetorclinic.com/

5150bossman Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:25 am

Thanks for the info. I will give the site a look over.

lazybonz Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:26 pm

Thanks guy's I will give some of the info a try if that dont work ill just get rid of the weber and go to a single barrel stock carb.
If I diecide to get rid of it how much is it worth??
This might offset the cost of the new one.
Thanks again
Ron

Dale M. Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:32 pm

If Any weber IDF series carbs will not idle you have one of two problems (or both) idle jets are dirty or you have vacuum leak somewhere between carb and head...

Go to any WEBER carb site and get "best lean idle adjust procedure"... with clean jets and this procedure you should be able to dial it in...

Dale

lazybonz Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:18 pm

Have to say thanks again for all the help Both jets were cloged a little and i cleaned everything and at least now it stays running.
blows smoke and smells but now i think i can get over to my vw guy to look at it closer.
any other surgestion on tuning would be great to get rid of the smoke and smell.

Thanks
Ron

MURZI Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:38 pm

Lightly seat the mixture screws and then back them out 1.5-1.75 turns. That will get you close.

lostinbaja Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:36 am

I don't recall seeing the idle jet size in the thread. A 50 or 55 idle jet should get you in the ballpark. Also make sure you squirter nozzle is atleast a 75 on a single carb application, otherwise it will stumble off idle due to lack of fuel.

lazybonz Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks Ill keep trying but in the mean time i sent my spare carb to Mhanery for a once over hopleful it will work better.
I will work on it tomarrow

Thanks again

MURZI Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:45 am

The trouble is the SINGLE carb. Duals will make the engine run like a sewing machine. I will never go back to a single carb. IDF's are bliss ....the statement made above....is so true. I love them, just got to get to know them inside and out.

lazybonz Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:33 pm

I tried most of your ideas today and I cant seem to get it.
Next i am going to check plugs to see if there fouled and get a timing light to check the timing. Maybe that can be the reason why its back fireing sounds like poping corn then give it gas it back fire from the carb.

Think i am on the right track?

Thanks