TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New THING Owner with a paint question!
surfnc Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:38 am

Hi!
I have recently bought a 74 Thing in fair complete condition. I will post pics as soon as I can, it is inside my buddy's storage building and it is hard to get good pics. I know I will have a bunch of questions when I start on it this winter. But the question I have now is, was the 74 green Thing a rare color? I was in high school when they came out and I remember seeing the yellow , orange and blue ones. But do not remember seeing many if any original green ones and have not seen many over the years. The reason I am asking is to see if it would be take away any value if I painted it a different color when the time comes. I have done a few searches and did not find anything about production numbers of the different factory colors. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Pinky Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:56 am

Blue paint? Not a factory color- Don't have production numbers for you, but the green ones are a bit rarer. A lot of them were killed by rednecks and bubbas buying them up for cheap hunting vehicles when there value was low. In the south at least... What sort of condition is it in? Does it really need a repaint? Are you keeping it for yourself or to flip it? I think the last question is probably the most pertinent and should affect your decision the most.

surfnc Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:06 am

Pinky,
Thanks for the reply. I should have said blue&white, not blue. As for condition: pans need to be replaced, body has surface rust, rust through on passenger side below windshield hinge, seats need to be recovered, needs to have gas tank replaced or cleaned out, and will need new soft top. Other than that it is complete and unmolested. I intend to keep it for myself and my family, not flip it and sell it on e-Bay. Though I hear they are getting the "big bucks" ha! ah!.

Fun 181 Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:19 am

Check out VW 181 Facts and Figures...
http://www.geocities.com/vwtyp181/181_2-4.htm

1973-1974:
• Blizzard White, L90H
• Sunshine Yellow, L11E
• Pumpkin Orange, L30F

In 1974 VW added Avacado Green, L60F

Acapulco version:
Cream White, L90C and Delft Blue, L55Z

I believe these were the only factory colors for Things. Though I have seen an orange/white Acapulco I don't know if it was a factory model.

My 74 has been repainted the avacado green. It's hard to tell, but I think the original color was either orange or white. At first I didn't like it, but everyone else seemed to love it. It took a little while, but I've come to enjoy it now too.

Congrats, good luck and welcome to the Samba!