TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My 60 Vert Resto Page: 1, 2  Next
Stanw3 Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:24 pm

My wife has been very gracious in dealing with my bus addiction. I decided to thank her by building a VW for her. I had originally picked up a 56 oval and started it for her when this came along. I'm not a bug guy (but my first car was a 74 super) and she couldn't tell you what an "oval" is - so I opted for this 1960 vert instead. What wife doesn't want a convertible? The car had some interesting history - was complete - and had all the early stuff: H apron, 4 tab hood - original 36 horse.

The bug had two previous owners. The Original owners had it until 1971. I have a copy of their title and handwritten bill of sale to the second owners for $250. Second owner was a lawyer who drove it daily until he died in 1989. His widow kept it under tarps on the side of their home until she sold it in 2006. When a buddy and I went to pick it up - it had about 6 cheap tarps over it. She would add another tarp every time the weather wore one out. Unfortunately, she didn't keep it very well as she got older. The floors were covered in debris and tarp materials. First order of business - strip it down and see what we have.

After removing seats and debris, etc. I gave it a good power wash to see what was up. The car has two coats of paint: the original and a hand brushed second coat.

So what did I find? In addition to a Bowie? knife next to the tunnel, the pans were shot as was the luggage compartment area right at the bottom. Pans I expected and wasn't too worried about. The luggage area.... we'll get to that in a minute.

I finished stripping the car so I could pull the body off of the pan. Other than being a filthy mess, it wasn't too bad. I'm always amazed at just how little there is to an early VW. The wiring is enough to make you laugh. Where is the rest?? :)

With the body off I dove into the pans. This is my second pan job (remember that oval I mentioned? :roll: ) and it went fairly easy. The heater channels are beautiful and needed no work (thank God). I ordered the pans from Wolfsburg West and was glad I did. They are really nice. Only complaint: The primer on them is a joke. I had the whole pan media blasted anyway so it didn't matter - but if I had to paint over that stuff.....no go.

Once the pans were welded in I had the whole thing media blasted and then sprayed in POR15. Rust no more pans! I think it looks a lot nicer anyway. Front beam and rear axles will get the same treatment.

Body work on the car itself wasn't too bad. It was fairly straight and no accident damage. The fenders - hood - decklid are another story we'll get to later. With body work done it was time to prime it and start some dry blocking.

Next I had to face the task I was really dreading - the rear luggage area. It ended up being easier than I thought - but not exactly easy either. The replacement piece is from WW. Again - quality is great - it just sucks that the piece is a one size for all years deal - wiring loom pressings, seat belts mounts, etc were not like a 60 - at least it's under your butt and covered. :)

And that is pretty much were things are now. I moved about four weeks ago and that brought things to a grinding halt. I'm almost settled here in the new garage and have just finished the front fenders and decklid. Trying to get the front beam done and all chassis stuff completed next. I'll update with more pics as it happens. At least I have a few months before summer gets here. :)

My current bug "stand":

David Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:12 pm

That's a lot of work! Looking good so far.

TailTip Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:15 pm

You've got some talent! Keep us imformed on the progress.

gostros Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:15 pm

Nice! Where in Texas are you?

beetleboy58 Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:58 pm

Iv'e got a 58 vert that needs similar work.....Gonna be watching you!

alex_juarez Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:00 pm

Cool Gilbert, get that shit done. Looking good

DMNCLNR Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:09 pm

beetleboy58 wrote: Iv'e got a 58 vert that needs similar work.....Gonna be watching you!

X2!
I will be tuning in, looks real good so far!

albert122 Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:05 pm

Wow amazing work so far. Im sure your going to make ur wife very happy when she sees the finished project. Keep up the great work. :D

beetleluvr Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm impressed... =D> . Keep us updated. I am with gostros...where ya located in Texas?

Stanw3 Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:54 pm

Thanks guys. It's been a ot of fun so far. We are now in Fort Worth, Texas. I'm a Texas native and always wanted to get back home. :) I left at 18 when I went to college. Now I'm 36 and glad to be back.

Tonight I've been working on the hood. Talk about horror. Give me a big flat bus panel any day over this curved sucker. This thing was ripped on the side (you can see it in the pic below) and down at the nose - both had been brazed with brass in the past which did not hold. Removed all that - welded it back up and hammered it straight. It's stout now but the bulk of the hood was pretty beat up. Getting a big curve back to perfection is killing me. I know that because it's curved you won't see flaws in it like a flat panel but I am going nuts skimming this thing. Anyone else hate body work on bug hoods??

Skim Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:42 pm

we need to hook up sometime since your close now. Verts lookin good man.

joe31 Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:47 am

Not bad for a Texas boy.

Stanw3 Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:53 pm

I almost feel like putting Daytons on it to honor it's New Mexico heritage! :)

Check out the link pin mess. Had to be a rough ride for the last guy:

thebucket Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:05 pm

That pan really turned out nice... Where in Tejas are you?

Stanw3 Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:12 pm

Thanks! Too bad it's gonna' get dirty when she drives it.

Stanw3 wrote: We are now in Fort Worth, Texas.

Skim Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:13 am

Gil I got hung up in Houston yesterday picking up my other car so I didnt get to call you before hand, shit I barely got back in time to be at work at 5 this morning and I still havent been home. Im off all day tues if you're gonna be around I gotta swing thru Ft Worth anyways.

Stanw3 Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:22 am

sounds good - Tuesday is wide open. Stick around long enough and I'll put you to work!

Ragtop Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:22 pm

Hey Gilbert the car looks good, what happened to you when you where out here? :roll:.

Stanw3 Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:04 am

Jorge! I worked non-stop on the house while I was there - got a lot done and didn't sleep much. I'll be back again soon I'm sure. Good luck with B&B!

Stanw3 Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:11 pm

Another day closer. Beam is done - backing pates, brake assemblies, and drums done. Just waiting on new link pins to get it all back together.