TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Considering on buying a Kyote
Type34Chik Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:55 pm

Would you consider a Dean Jeffries Kyote some what rare? and how hard is it to find parts for? headlights, and rear engine cover.

Heathc Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:51 am

anything that has Dean Jeffries name attatched to it is gonna be worth money at some point. he is one of the pioneers of car customizing, and made a lot of cars for movies and tv. if i were you i'd snatch it up. as far as parts, it looks like the rear engine cover would be easy enough to make. i don't know about the headlights since there is no pic of the front of the body.

oh yeah, sorry about the newbie first post. my name is Heath and i'm from Indianapolis, Indiana. nice to meet you all!

BL3Manx Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:01 am

Did you see this recent thread? Lots of Kyote information.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252966

The Mantaray II style headlights are the best looking type. They're standard car healights mounted in the fender.

seabeebuggy Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:37 am

Like Heath said , Buy it , the rest is not too bad to make. or find.

Yellermanx Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:01 am

The original poster never asked if he should buy it or not. He asked if it is rare. They are fairly rare, but not overly rare. It is a neat piece. Everyone is yelling "buy it" without hearing a price. I say buy it if you like the body style and the price is right. Don't buy it just because it is a "Jeffries Kyote" and if you do, make sure it's not a clone. Don't buy it with the mindset that you are going to make a killing on it. JMHO :?

dan macmillan Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:02 pm

Depends on what you consider rare. Without seeing the front it appears to be a Mantaray II Kyote made in 1968. Check the back side of the dash for Deans business card in the fiberglass. Only a few of the later Mantaray II's got the card. All of the Kyote 1 's and Kyote 2's got it. Where are you located? This can help determine if it is a genuine Jeffries car or a licensed reproduction made by Irwin in Toronto Canada.
If it is a genuine Mantaray II then it is rare as Dean only made about 150 of them. Headlights were low beams units from any car that had 4 lamp round lights. They had 3 prongs resulting in a hi and low beam.

Type34Chik Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks for the info, my husband is trying to talk me into another car. :roll: The main thing that I'm looking at is we would only be able to enjoy it for about four months out of the year. Here is another photo, sorry for the bad quality I took it from my phone. Oh and it hasn't had any holes drilled to the dash, or a window mounted. [/img]

seabeebuggy Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:16 pm

Yellermanx wrote: The original poster never asked if he should buy it or not. He asked if it is rare. They are fairly rare, but not overly rare. It is a neat piece. Everyone is yelling "buy it" without hearing a price. I say buy it if you like the body style and the price is right. Don't buy it just because it is a "Jeffries Kyote" and if you do, make sure it's not a clone. Don't buy it with the mindset that you are going to make a killing on it. JMHO :?

Perhaps you should read the title
Quote (Considering on buying a Kyote) end quote.. :evil:

WHO is yelling buy it? I dont think I said a word..

dan macmillan Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:39 am

Type34Chik wrote: Thanks for the info, my husband is trying to talk me into another car. :roll: The main thing that I'm looking at is we would only be able to enjoy it for about four months out of the year. Here is another photo, sorry for the bad quality I took it from my phone. Oh and it hasn't had any holes drilled to the dash, or a window mounted. [/img]

It does definitely look like a 68 Jeffries Mantaray II Kyote. Given your location of central California, it makes it even more likely. Could you post a photo of the back seat? Have you looked at the back of the dash for a business card? It appears to have the gas tank hole...is there a moulded glass gas tank in the front end.

Why only 4 months of enjoyment? I live in Northern Ontario Canada where the winters hit minus 40 C {same as minus 40 F}. I run my Kyote from late April to Mid October. Have a look at my Kyote site at www.geocities.com/Baja/Desert/7445 Note: It is a very busy site at times and may be difficult to access. Just keep trying.

BL3Manx Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:57 am

Besides the Meyers Manx, there were only a handful of original fiberglass dune buggy designs in the 60s. The vast majority of buggies made were manx clones with small modifications to the hood or fenders. As an original design, the Kyote was right near the top in looks, innovation and coolness.

In all the buggy runs I've been to in the last few years(northern California) I've never seen a Kyote there. If you got it and did a good job on finishing it, you'd attract a lot of attention.

However, you'd pretty much need to build the entire buggy from scratch. It looks like its sitting on a shortened pan aleady. If you bought it, you'd need to make sure everything there is in good condition, tunnel, pans, control tubes, shifter, brake lines, wiring, fuel tank, etc. Then you'd need a windshield(not window), roll bar, seats, lights, instruments, engine, trans, front suspension, brakes, steering, wheels and tires. Assembling all the components and making them fit and operate is a major undertaking. It could take a year or more of hard work. But if you did a good job, when you were done you'd have a very cool buggy.

I've got six buggies. I don't find them, they find me. Maybe you were meant to build this Kyote. But if you and your husband aren't 100% ready for a lot of work and expense, maybe its best to walk away.

vdubyah73 Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:48 am

Type34Chik wrote: Thanks for the info, my husband is trying to talk me into another car. :roll: The main thing that I'm looking at is we would only be able to enjoy it for about four months out of the year. Here is another photo, sorry for the bad quality I took it from my phone. Oh and it hasn't had any holes drilled to the dash, or a window mounted. [/img]

You can use it longer than that. we go riding from the end of April through the end of November here in MA. Just wear some leather. Bet you look good in leather :wink:

Bill

vdubyah73 Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:48 am

You can use it longer than that. we go riding from the end of April through the end of November here in MA. Just wear some leather. Bet you look good in leather :wink:

Bill

Bryan67 Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:59 pm

Damn, I can`t believe you just said that.

Type34Chik Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:13 pm

Bryan67 wrote: You can use it longer than that. we go riding from the end of April through the end of November here in MA. Just wear some leather. Bet you look good in leather :wink:
Damn, I can`t believe you just said that.
:lol:

Elwood Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:10 pm

If you buy it and need Side pods for it, you better hurry, 'cus I am about to cut mine and stretch them. Where as I could pop molds off of them for you. However these aren't really big sellers do to the amount of them out there so you'll have to pay for the mold and parts. I can do it for you as cheap as I can though. Maybe even swap some Canadian only stuff as well.
Let me know. Soon.