TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Minor but annoying electrical problems
Ted in Tallahassee Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Annoying problem #1: My hi-beam/lo beam relay wants to get hot when I hook it up even though I'm pretty sure the right wires are on the right terminals. I don't think it's a matter of corroded/dirty terminals inside the relay, and the switch in my steering column seems clean and fine.

Since some (all?) of the wires that connect to the hi/lo beam relay come from the headlight switch, I want to think one or more wires may be on the wrong terminals on the headlight switch. One reason I think this may be the case is because my headlights stay on even when the ignition is turned off. I don't think that's right; I seem to remember that with the ignition off, the headlights should not stay on. Am I right?

Does anyone know for sure which wires (colors) go to which numbered terminals on the headlight swiitch? ('73 if that makes a difference.) I'd like to start the troubleshooting there. If I get those right, that may solve the hi/lo beam relay issues.

Annoying problem #2: My turn signal indicator light flashes for only one or two "clicks" of the turn signal, then flashes no more. This does not change with RPM or whether the headlights are on or off. Any ideas?

Last, #3, my horn (stock) is spotty. With high RPM's you can usually get a decent beep from it, but at low RPM you're lucky if you get a nasal goose-like buzzing sound, and at idle, forget it. I've tried cleaning contacts in the steering wheel & the ground wire, & buying new horns. Nothing really seems to definitively fix it.

Do #'s 2 & 3 sound like low voltage issues? I've got a new battery, and my generator light doesn't come on even at an idle, so I'm at a loss.

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Ted

Woreign Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:34 am

I had a similar problem with my turn signal relay. I took it apart, cleaned the dust out of it, and cleaned the wire contacts. I also made sure that all my light bulbs were tight. And just to be sure, I cleaned all the contacts in the fuse strip. So far the turn signals continue to signal...

pewe_kodok Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:11 am

Quote: One reason I think this may be the case is because my headlights stay on even when the ignition is turned off. I don't think that's right; I seem to remember that with the ignition off, the headlights should not stay on.

IMO headlights will stay on even ignition off

when I see VW wiring headlight relay wired to fuse number 10
and headlight switch wired to battery

btw try vintagebus.com for wiring