TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I see dead wires
jonathan777 Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:09 am

Please help i have just got a porsche colvin based on a 68 beetle i have had to completly re wire the car but now stuck.
1. i can't source a flasher relay for it does anyone have a spare or know a way to convert it?
2. and this is the biggy, it won't turn over. On the starter motor i have a direct cable to the 12v threaded bolt from the battery and a cable from the spade conection to the ignition red and black wire, red wire from the ignition goes to 30 on the light switch. Now when i got it it also had a cable on the other threaded bolt on the starter the one that has the copper wire conected to the starter body, this cable went to a terninal block on the fibre glass body that i think maybe a earth point should i replace this as when i connect the battery i get sparks?
Sorry this long winded.

Dale M. Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:17 am

There are many sites on I-net that probably can source your flasher for you.... If you have part number try www.cip1.com..

As for starter problem.... First thing to do is isolate problem that causes battery cable to arc when you try to connect it ... This indicates some sort of short or high current draw problem in electrical system.... If you connect a 12 volt test lamp between battery terminal and cable and it lights up this is indicator of "a problem". Try working through electrical system till short or condition that is causing the test lamp to light is found...

Any GROUND connections can be on any bolting surface on starter body or transmission. Also be sure there is a ground strap from chassis between engine/transmission. Along with ground cable from battery.

Depending on how close to original beetle wiring you want to copy, starter function is quite simple.... Threaded stud on solenoid should have a battery cable to + terminal on battery. Also probably second wire going to fuse block/ignition switch... Smaller wire from "start" terminal on ignition switch should go to push on terminal on starter solenoid..BUT it may take a route to some other items before it actually makes it to solenoid. Some time you just have to follow the route and make sure all connections have continuity.

Dale

dan macmillan Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:49 am

jonathan777 wrote: Please help i have just got a porsche colvin based on a 68 beetle i have had to completly re wire the car but now stuck.
1. i can't source a flasher relay for it does anyone have a spare or know a way to convert it?
2. and this is the biggy, it won't turn over. On the starter motor i have a direct cable to the 12v threaded bolt from the battery and a cable from the spade conection to the ignition red and black wire, red wire from the ignition goes to 30 on the light switch. Now when i got it it also had a cable on the other threaded bolt on the starter the one that has the copper wire conected to the starter body, this cable went to a terninal block on the fibre glass body that i think maybe a earth point should i replace this as when i connect the battery i get sparks?
Sorry this long winded.

There should be no wires attatched to the starter solenoid terminal that attatches to the one with the wire that leads into the starter body.
I am refering to the lower one {B} as seen in this pic

This is just a random starter pic similar to our VW units in wireing only.
All feeds from the battery go to {A}. Look at the small relay that is bolted at the top center of the picture. You will see a thin black wire that leaves the relay and attatches to the starter between posts A an B, this is where the wire from your ignition switch will connect.
All starters that have integral solenoids are wired the same.

jonathan777 Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:36 am

cheers for that i still can't get the bitch to start i'll try cleaning the earths again.
I have found the sparking problem it was the generator cable, it has the built in regulator, i have on the thread bolt i have one cable to the light switch and one going straight to the battery that was the problem one should that cable go to the starter motor 12v terminal??????

Dale M. Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:01 pm

A internally regulated generator, I don't think so....

Do you mean alternator?... All generators used on VW's use a external regulator. Some early alternators used external regulators (AL78X) commonly referred to as a 4 wire.... A internally regulated alternator (AL82X) will only have a 2 wires ( B+ to battery and D+ to idiot light) . IF you connect the B+ terminal of alternator to the threaded terminal on top of solenoid ( common connecting point for battery plus cable and supply lead going forward to switches) and it causes arcing when try to connect cable you have a problem with alternator... It probably has blown internal diodes, it will either need to be repaired or replaced. At least get it tested to be sure it is the problem .

IF you have good ground path directly from battery (-) to engine case or transmission, and good 12 volt (+) cable to top terminal of solenoid, and you take a simple test wire from solenoid threaded connection and strike it against the push on blade terminal on side of solenoid it should spin starter....

Dale

jonathan777 Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:44 am

Cheers for the help