TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Scale model builders??
Glasser Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:02 pm

Just curious if anyone builds models?
I build pretty much any automotive subject. I do have a Dune Buggy kit but haven't built it yet. Here are some VW's. I like to scratch build and create one of a kind builds. All of these builds (other than the rail that was all scratch built) were stock cars.

Glenn Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:04 pm

Nice work... really nice.

plasticman1432 Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:31 pm

Count me in, Glasser; it's nice to see another builder pop in here. I see that you made the side gates on your single functional....cool beans.

Here's a few pics:

Blown VW-powered:

My 2 Barndoors 'in progress:'

There's a few other VWs, and a few other non-VWs here:
http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/

dirtydeedss Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:46 pm

those cars are sweet, where did you get that singlecab? and where do you get those brm's? is there an online store or something?

MURZI Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:53 pm

how about these two?

looks like some model cars huh???

Lo Cash John Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:06 am

=D> Bravo!!

plasticman1432 Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:01 am

dirtydeedss wrote: those cars are sweet, where did you get that singlecab? and where do you get those brm's? is there an online store or something?

The single posted isn't mine, but I have one and can answer your question: the kit was released a few years ago by Hasegawa, and they're still plentiful.

The BRMs were copied in resin by a friend of mine, from a nice(but long OOP) white metal set I bought off Ebay. They're not on his site, but check it out and drop him a line if you're interested:
http://www1.freewebs.com/bigjeepzzresin/
I have a little painting 'how to' on those wheels in my Fotki as well:

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/my_model_car_projects/brm-alloys/

MURZI - Nice work....those look pretty realistic! :wink:

Glasser Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:20 am

It's cool to see the hobby is not dead. I LOVE the Blown VW. Now that is cool! Your very talented, no question about that.
Yes I did a bunch of work to the single cab. I added an engine (The kit is curbside as I'm sure you know ,no engine). narrowed the front bean. Lowered it to an inch of its life LOL. made the sides functional and cargo doors. Added gas tank, bulk head, battery. I had to raise the front wheels wells to make room for the wheels and did a custom interior with console. It's a great kit and has lots of potential.

I started making a rat rod. Yours turned out great by the way. But mine is ending up to be more of a custom.

Not sure about the wheels yet.

Those BRMs are nice!

Murzi. I had to look twice, they do look like models.

plasticman1432 Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:24 pm

LMAO over the grass on the mower deck...that's funny!

I'd go a little smaller on the fenderless one's front wheels & tires; imagine trying to steer those steamrollers in 1:1 :shock: I like the direction you're taking it in.

Glasser Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:55 am

Yeah I agree. I'll keep looking. Thanks, always appreciate some good feed back.