TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: thing shop headers and valve adjustment?
Rev. Scott Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:22 pm

yes, i have the thing shop split header system. how are you suposed to adjust your valves is under two hours? it would have been faster to remove them altogether. i more or less got there with a "z" shaped screw driver, but it was tedious! any advice? also this header makes my "stock" motor run like crap! wtf?

Skorzeny's G Ride Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:29 pm

I think those were some that i was looking at a while back. I was wonder how they would perform.

bciesq Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:17 am

inkwelz wrote: yes, i have the thing shop split header system. how are you suposed to adjust your valves is under two hours? it would have been faster to remove them altogether. i more or less got there with a "z" shaped screw driver, but it was tedious! any advice? also this header makes my "stock" motor run like crap! wtf?

There is no good way to adjust the valves on this set up (FWIW, the "z" screw driver method is least-worst option that I found). My Thing Shop dual header is sitting on the floor of my garage after I replaced it with a '74 muffler and J-tubes. Even though the old '74 muffler is not a high tech design, it at least has *some* scavenging with the equal length headers and it looks nice -- not to mention that I can now adjust the valves in less than 30 minutes. The only downside is that I've had to modify my Thing Shop trailer hitch to fit around the muffler.

If I had it to do over again, I think that I would go with this setup:

http://www.headermania.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen...FFLERS4CYL

Woreign Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:17 am

I have the split exhaust system from German Motor Works:

It's not that difficult to adjust the valves, and it didn't take all that long to do so. I remember that the #3 valves were the most difficult to get to, and required that I change to a shorter screw driver. The rest I could adjust with a long driver that I passed over the top of the mufflers.

bciesq Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:36 am

Woreign wrote: I have the split exhaust system from German Motor Works:

It's not that difficult to adjust the valves, and it didn't take all that long to do so. I remember that the #3 valves were the most difficult to get to, and required that I change to a shorter screw driver. The rest I could adjust with a long driver that I passed over the top of the mufflers.

If you are going to use a split header, the OEM version is the best bet. The Thing Shop version has about 3 inches of clearance between the mufflers and the valves IIRC.

halfgut Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:18 am

I posted the same issue a few weeks ago. It wasn't the easiest Thing I had done. A long screw driver coming over the top of the muffler on number three and a terrible arm cramp seemed to do the trick. Someone also posted that a coin of some kind also worked well in place of a screw driver.

Skorzeny's G Ride Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:00 pm

Hey bciesq, what is your opinion of the thing shop trailer hitch. Are we talking about this one:

Hitch
Description: Designed from the original sold by VW of America. We have improved on them to receive a draw bar. It installs by bolting to the transmission cradle mount, thus pulling the load from the chassis of the vehicle instead of the bumper. They are all powder coated in black, and are available in two sizes: 2' or 1 1/4" (Be sure to specify year of vehicle)
Price: $165.00

Ferretkona Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:20 pm

I love mine!

Skorzeny's G Ride Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:46 pm

what do you tow with it? I was thinking a jon boat or a sandrail would be okay. Not sure if Im sold yet.

bciesq Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:40 am

Skorzeny's G Ride wrote: Hey bciesq, what is your opinion of the thing shop trailer hitch. Are we talking about this one:

Hitch
Description: Designed from the original sold by VW of America. We have improved on them to receive a draw bar. It installs by bolting to the transmission cradle mount, thus pulling the load from the chassis of the vehicle instead of the bumper. They are all powder coated in black, and are available in two sizes: 2' or 1 1/4" (Be sure to specify year of vehicle)
Price: $165.00

The hitch is very high quality and the only modification to the car are two holes drilled into the bumper (it "clamps" on to the transmission cradle so no drilling there). I only wish that they had designed it so that a traditional muffler could fit.

I pull a light kayak trailer and two kayaks with no problems - I keep the car under 50 mph though, and give myself a little extra stopping room.

Woreign Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:34 am

Will it fit if you have the engine skid plates? Doesn't look like it will... Could someone post photos of the area that attaches to the transmission? I'm thinking of having a friend make me one for a lot less than $175.

Shamu63 Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:53 pm

With skid plates - Very doubtful, clearance is next to nothing.

I've pulled close to 400 lbs with mine. Gravel bags and Sod for the yard.
I have a 6x8 trailer and got the hitch and proper wiring installed at UHaul for 60 bucks.

Mu