TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: wire gauge....
bpritchert87 Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:04 pm

i was wondering what gauge wire i should use for the + (postive) terminal to the starter..... and what gauge wire for the -- (negative) terminal to the pan.... Thanks for the help...

greenmanx Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:10 pm

for (+) and (-) battery terminals to the starter and chassis respectively, I am using 4 gauge wire.

bpritchert87 Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:18 pm

greenmanx wrote: for (+) and (-) battery terminals to the starter and chassis respectively, I am using 4 gauge wire.

Thanks.... any suggestions as to where i can get some.... i have some but think it is like #3 (suppose it wouldnt hurt to use thicker) but im not sure if its the right stuff?? is it special coating.... (know that speaker wire can be oxi coated) etc.... the stuff i have says welding cable on it and is orange..(not sure if that matters) ...

Letterman7 Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:52 pm

Welding cable will work, as long as it's thick enough. I used 4GA jumper cables, cut the ends off and soldered lugs on instead. Keeps everything neat!

Rick

donmac Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:03 pm

Not sure what I'm missing, for the + just use a 4 gauge battery cable with the ends already made-up. Buy the length you need. You can get one with the alternator wire already attached as well. For the ground, it is traditional to use a braided strap.

Dudbust Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:17 pm

Most auto parts store have premade cables in 4 ga or you can buy in bulk and put your own ends on

bpritchert87 Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:26 pm

thanks all.... so nothing special about them then ... cool... most likely use the 3 guage or so welding cable for both...... just to be on the safe side....

Thanks again

Dale M. Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:13 pm

Just buy standard battery and ground cables at autoparts.... No need to make special cables....

Dale

bpritchert87 Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:20 pm

would they be any better then what i currently have..... i mean the gauge that i have i believe is larger then what has been suggested...

if is better i will go and buy it no problem but the wire i have looks good....

thanks everyone btw

bpritchert87 Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:25 am

yea checked yesterday the guage that i have is 2awg... a bit big but i figure its a good then... i suppose i will just use that... Thanks all...