TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: charcoal canister routing?
kuebelwagen84 Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:15 pm

I finally drained and pulled the old gas tank out of the 181 so I could replace the steering dampner and replace the entire fuel system (did some hand sanding as well to reveal the original decals still in the hood and in perfect condition - hopefully I can blue tape them nicely when I get around to repainting)

My car had the expansion chamber removed when I bought it, but retained the charcoal canister in the rear. I bought a new chamber to bring everything back to stock and the correct size rubber hoses but don't know how it gets from the expansion chamber to the charcoal canister. I can see where it leaves the hood and can see the canister in the back, but does the rubber hose go through the tunnel and exit in the rear or does it simply loop somewhere around the body?

I think Ian asked a similar question awhile back and mentioned a rubber/metal line but can anyone elaborate for me? I know alot of guys disconnected them and they might not be that useful, especially when historic cars don't have to pass emissions (in NJ anyway), but I'd like a complete set up instead of having all these cut hoses around the car

Woreign Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:43 pm

The rubber hose runs from the back of the expansion canister down through a hole in the trunk to where it connects to a metal line above the master break cylinder. The metal line runs to the right side and down to the corner of the wheel well. Then, a short rubber hose connects to another metal line that runs along the outer edge of the pan to the back of the vehicle and then connects to the charcoal can.

kuebelwagen84 Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:28 pm

Woreign wrote: The rubber hose runs from the back of the expansion canister down through a hole in the trunk to where it connects to a metal line above the master break cylinder. The metal line runs to the right side and down to the corner of the wheel well. Then, a short rubber hose connects to another metal line that runs along the outer edge of the pan to the back of the vehicle and then connects to the charcoal can.

thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know :D

germansupplyscott Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:46 pm

i can take photos of the line if you want. i restored my 74 thing a few years ago and made that line as new, i even made the little metal tabs that go under the pan screws to secure the line to the pan.

kuebelwagen84 Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:06 am

germansupplyscott wrote: i can take photos of the line if you want. i restored my 74 thing a few years ago and made that line as new, i even made the little metal tabs that go under the pan screws to secure the line to the pan.

Thanks Scott for the offer, but I think I'll be ok :wink:

Last night I checked the car over again and saw the remnants of the metal line but saw how the setup is more or less. I'll probably wind up replacing that whole line after I do the pans and making new tabs as well

kubelmann Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:42 pm

I removed my canister tubing as part of the pan replacement process. Now you guys are making me consider building a new one. I have the old one and it is not in that bad of shape but a new one would look so nice and pretty. It would be easy to fabricate a new one. I am working on the interior wiring cover that goes along the tunnel. It has some minor rust inside that I am taking to metal with a scotchguard rolox. New pans make you want to make everything else nice and pretty to match. I am building a perfect pedal set and will paint the bare metal parts with SEM self etching primer. I plan to coat the aluminum part with a matte finish clear coat.

kuebelwagen84 Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:25 pm

kubelmann wrote: New pans make you want to make everything else nice and pretty to match. I am building a perfect pedal set and will paint the bare metal parts with SEM self etching primer. I plan to coat the aluminum part with a matte finish clear coat.

nice! I know what you mean as far as new parts making you want everything nice and pretty; just putting in the new steering dampner gave me that feeling... I'm hoping after I finally get the new pans and rockers in a nice new paint job will satisfy any more wallet punishing urges

kubelmann Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Trust me this is way cheaper than psycho-therapy or an uncalled for girl friend or worse. The VW is a fairly healthy addiction. Keep it quiet or everyone will want one. Woopps! Too late. Thing dom