TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Porsche 901 trans in a Type 3 Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
911Notch Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Has anybody here done this swap before? I have one mounted now and I need some concrete ideas for the shifter linkage.

flyinglow94 Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:11 pm

A friend of mine had done it to a 52 split bug, and he had posted the how to on the Cal look forum.com check there.

911Notch Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:19 pm

There is lots of info for the swap into a type 1 but I haven't found anything for a type 3. The issue I need help on is the shift linkage because the floorpans are different between type 1 and 3.

911Notch Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:10 pm

Wow, I know its not part of a stock restoration but has nobody here done this conversion??

DONGKG Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:45 pm

I hope this likn will help:

http://bb.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions-viewforum?forum=17

dcdubs Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:25 pm

got your trans mounted...kick ass. I put a 915 in my car and i'm currently designing the shift linkage. do you have any photos of your trans mounted in the car specificly the nosecone section? how much space do you have between the shift rod on the trans and the "v" section of your rear subframe? you can just go reverse of a baja style setup, you have to decide if you want your linkage to ride under or over the subframe......over is ideal.

73notch Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:15 pm

Why did you choose the 901?

911Notch Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:00 pm

cause it came with 2.0L flat 6 I just installed in the notch. I will crawl under and take some shots for you dcdubs.

Clatter Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:13 pm

Bugat5-speed has a beetle shifter for 901 and 915.

I bet it would be easy to get it to work on the type3.

It reaches deep down into the tunnel, so the rod runs straight to the shifter.

That way you don't have to "S" bend the rod, and make things more vague feeling...

I plan on using it for the 915 in my fasty someday.

911Notch Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:23 am

That product Bug@5speed has produced is REAL nice!! however the downfall for me is that it was designed for a type 1, it is shorter than original so it can be mounted closer to the front of the car, leaving the motor in a beetle in the factory location. The shiftfork has not changed in location on the nose cone. The type 3 floorpan/suspension are completely different than a beetle, rendering this part virtually useless in a type 3 application.

dcdubs Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:40 pm

the basic idea is the same you just have that pesky subframe under there, you could easily do something like geoff did on his speedy bus.
but if you go under your subframe.....i would recomend some sort of skid bars/plate so you don't bottom out on your shift rod.

Hebster52 Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:55 pm

Browse around here. Mick have done a good job with putting a 915 transmission in his T-34:
http://www.t-34.co.uk/index.php?page=my%20project

MIKE Z Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:08 pm

I have a 901 5 speed for sale if anyone needs or wants one.

Clatter Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:51 pm

Oh yeah, I remember that T-34 site...
So Bitchin!..

Seems to me that he could do even better using the bugat5speed nosecone.

Getting the motor farther forward is always a good thing...

I was going to get an IRS and swing subframe,plus a bare pan, Bugat5speed nosecone and 915.

Once it is all sitting there, you'll be able to figure out something...
Even if it means 'C' cutting the torsion tube at the inner spline area.

My plan is to use the late 944T alloy arms, which increase the track.
Plus narrow the torsion housing, but that's another story altogether...

Heyman,
ANYTHING can be done if you want it bad enough!

dcdubs Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:54 pm

you mean like this??
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8156/cdt016sx2.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9251/cdt012su6.jpg
wider is better

Brad Roberts Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:40 am

DcDubs,

that setup looks good. I question (because I dont know) but will the stock shock mounting point handle a coil over conversion on these rear sub frames? I see the heim joint pivot point (and what appears to be 944 Turbo rear control arms.. which is slick). I know we have to gusset the 911 tubs when we convert them to coil over (the shocks bolt to the tub, not a sub frame like the T3)

Clatter,

Quote: I was going to get an IRS and swing subframe,plus a bare pan, Bugat5speed nosecone and 915.

Does Bug@5speed *actually* make a nosecone for the 915? I have been around the 915's for years and years.. never heard of anyone making a nose cone for them besides WEVO for mid engine use.

Do you have contact info or a URL you can point me too?

Found it (Duh) Google it dork.. :)

Very SLICK! I like his shifter also!

B

Air_Cooled_Nut Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:44 pm

So Brad, why don't you POST THE URL so others can quickly utilize it?

dcdubs Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:54 pm

[quote="Brad Roberts"]DcDubs,

that setup looks good. I question (because I dont know) but will the stock shock mounting point handle a coil over conversion on these rear sub frames? I see the heim joint pivot point (and what appears to be 944 Turbo rear control arms.. which is slick). I know we have to gusset the 911 tubs when we convert them to coil over (the shocks bolt to the tub, not a sub frame like the T3)

Indeed you question correctly on all counts....this is still a work in progress with quite a long way to go.....i've been working on this car now for longer than i care to admitt. every modification raises questions with more than one right answer sometimes, but yes i plan to make a bolt in subframe brace that will connect the two upper shock mounts and then have two triangulations that connect up by the trailing arm pivot cups. the shocks will be mounted to that brace slightly foreward and inwards to triangulate perfectly with the 951 arms. in the end the ultimate goal is to build something i could drive to the vw classic or keep up with the pca guys at a d.e. event,. sometimes i plan to go a certain way then rethink it wich is taking a long time but i'm hoping all the planning and late nights will pay off, i plan on making more than one of these cars.

911Notch Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:27 pm

I've been following your thread since you found me on Pelican forums. I really like what you have done with the rear suspension.

Here's what i'm up against with the 901

and here's the shift rod I've made

I haven't convinced myself I like the shift rod, I am having issues finding all 5 gates at the same time, but I haven't got a clutch in yet and I'm sure with a little more adjustment it will be OK.

I did find these and thought they may work for a configuration like Geoff made on the Porsche bus.

http://www.truechoice.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BOR%20506262

911Notch Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:34 pm

If you'd like there some more pics of it mounted here:

http://www.airspeedparts.com/community-forum/index...63674f814e

jump to page three as the first 2 pages are the previous idea I had for the car.