TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did YOU do to your van today? Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
hiram6 Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:20 pm

A thread with a similar title has garnered over 5,000 posts on another forum I visit.

I've been very productive Westy-wise today.

-Installed new fuel tank
-Installed new ignition switch and lock cylinder
-Reconnected my cable for my heater control valve. (I have to disconnect it and manually move it to off underneath the van during the summer to prevent the Vanagon hotfoot.
-Working on a little desktop platform/cubby thing to fit in the center of the dash. Woodworking 101 kind of thing. I would like a level spot there instead of the slope of the Vanagon dash. Not sure I'll get that done today.

Not braggin', but I feel pretty good about everything so far. Nice feeling to know you did it, and therefore know how it was done.
:D

jackbombay Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:28 pm

Oil cooler install after a LOT of prep work to make it fit, got tires mounted (Hakkapeliita CS 195 75 16) 16" wheels and put on the van (not the rears yet though, need to modify the lugnuts :shock: ) , wired up new fridge (vitrifrigo). Hope to make a drawer for above the fridge tonight.

BadBeetle Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:34 pm

I just got my Vanagon Syncro GL today. :D allot a work ahead of me.
It needs a new engine, and a CV shaft. lol Other than that its near MINT!

Lanval Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:40 pm

Does yesterday count? I wired in a new voltmeter cluster with oil pressure and inclinometer.

Also wired my oil temp sender for my air cooled engine to the water temp gauge in my post 85 cluster. We'll see if it works.

Finally, reset the idle, and checked the decel valve for vacuum leaks. Seems OK, we'll try the van. It's dropping a fair bit of oil from the rear main seal :shock: Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't paid someone to seal it in summer. :?

Best,

Lanval

camo westy Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:17 pm

Finally raining here in VA. I drove my weekender into the warehouse where it is warm and dry.

Yesterday I ordered new rear seat upholstery from SewFine.

Lots of nice Vanagon interior fix-ups from the SewFine folks. Great service too.

UH60Driver Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:20 pm

I listened to my fuel pump on the way home. It is starting to growl at me again... So I am guessing I need to pull it and see what is going on.

ProvoCyclist Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:44 pm

Yesterday I...
Changed the oil and put on a proper Mahle filter. I pre-filled the thing, and it look like 3/4 quart! :shock:

Topped up the coolant.

Re-installed the original steering wheel that I put a wheelskin on and a new horn ring.

Ma'ili Pt Westy Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:05 pm

Got it out of the garage today and took it for a drive into town.

McVanagon Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm

Just drove it to and from work. :cry:

woggs1 Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:37 pm

I just looked at it from my webcam at work. Yes I have a webcam pointed at it.

fastwagens Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:43 pm

removed the tranny from my VR6 syncro project. I did yhis with the help of my 7 yo son. Good times/

CF Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:01 pm

today i checked the codes on the eurovan,ordered my brake parts for the syncro,and tried to start the 84 gl(pain in the a** 1.9)

fortheloveofvdub Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:05 pm

New roof hatch/ roof hatch seal, new flat seal on pop top (bunch a yucky black crap), new seal around rest of pop top, luggage rack seal next, (some other day).

Nasty ol' winter's just around the corner here in Ohio!

1621 Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:54 pm

woggs1 wrote: I just looked at it from my webcam at work. Yes I have a webcam pointed at it.

Have you considered therapy?

Added a couple magnets to the edge of the rear table to keep it from swinging around turns.

kevinbassplayer Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:54 pm

Tuesday night - Finished the rear brakes: installed new Stainless brake lines, new shoes, new wheel cylinders, and new brake drums. Unfortunately I had to put it back in the shop today because the drums are squealing, I loosed the e-brake but the shoes are still rubbing too much. Last night I had a flat tire (a big nail) and put in a tire plug and pumped the tire up with my mini compressor on the side of the road by flashlight.

bucko Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Used some mild compound to clean the inner paint (door jamb area).

Bascially, I pick a part of the vanagon to clean; 2 out of 3 days a week to get it detailed.

Perales Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Received and opened a box of shiny new valve covers and other bits from Bus Depot. I am waiting for the weekend.

Raynor Shine Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:15 pm

I ordered a Norcold. Finally!

Perales Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:19 pm

Lundy wrote:
Added a couple magnets to the edge of the rear table to keep it from swinging around turns.

Oh, I like that idea, I think I'm going to do that too.

mrhooie Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:06 pm

brushed the snow off it =(