TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: aluminum beam assembly
Mongo63 Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:20 pm

I am at the stage of front suspension assembly for my buggy project and had a couple of questions about assembling an aluminum beam. The particular beam I just purchased came with soft rubber trailing arm bushings and they seem really chintzy. Do I really want to use those or opt for the urethane ones? I was hoping to use the o.e. German needle bearings I removed from my rusted out beam, but a dimensional check of the aluminum beam put the skids to that. I also noticed there is no provision for steering box location, how do I deal with that? I was planning on using the stock steering box if possible, didn't want to use a rack. The final question I have is how to locate the torsion spring center clamps as they are not installed/ drilled in the alum. beam. Is there a tech sheet somewhere I can access for this info?

lostinbaja Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:55 am

I would use a set of urethane bushings in the beam.
As far as steering box location, measure the location of the steering box on the stock beam then mark the aluminum beam. I actually used a 2 piece collar clamped to the tube to locate my steering box.