TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear Window Cleaner
crofty Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:52 am

My plastic/vinyl rear window is pretty foggy any suggestions on how to clean it?

surfarii Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:58 pm

This stuff works good for me / Clear plastic polish
http://www.meguiars.com/?clear-plastic-care/PlastX-Clear-Plastic-Cleaner-Polish

74 Thing Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:26 pm

I prefer their 2 part system the plastic cleaner and the plastic polish over the plastx.

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-clear-plastic-care/Mirror-Glaze-Clear-Plastic-Cleaner

Plexus makes a nice spray as well and Novus 123 has good polishes(search amazon). You can find these at most Marine shops or on the net.

As always the key is keeping it clean and removing the dirt with a damp cloth with lots of nap or a micorfiber. You do not want to rub the dirt into the window or you will swirl it up just like rubbing dirt on your paint.

Ron Domeck Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:09 pm

I use any of the many products that are made for plastic, but I use a small 3 in. air buffer. This is the same process that is used to polish any plastic like light lens. Be sure to mask off the top as to not get the polish splaters on the vinyl.

n0limdon Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:50 pm

If I remember correctly Mike Basso said to use toothpaste, something like Pepsodent, at $0.88 a tube cheap!! This was when Mike was doing "good things" after taking over from Vince S.

addh79 Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:34 pm

n0limdon wrote: If I remember correctly Mike Basso said to use toothpaste, something like Pepsodent, at $0.88 a tube cheap!! This was when Mike was doing "good things" after taking over from Vince S.

This may be a good idea but just dont buy the toothpaste from him! Or anything else.

GPthing Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:40 pm

Helps with the Bad taste he left with me as well.

Brian

Towel Rail Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:53 pm

Pepsodent may not be the best toothpaste on Earth, but does it have a fun taste! :lol:

Video Bob Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:30 am

I tried "VinylX" on some old side windows and rear windows and was amazed at the improvement. I bought it at Pep Boys. It's available at other stores as well.

Chas223 Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:18 pm

Depending on the condition of I assume your clear vinyl window.

Tooth pastes is helpful. polishing compounds can work. But if your window is OLD, just best replace it with a new clear piece of vinyl as it just discolors as it gets old. Basically if it "sees" the sunshine it will fade over time. You can have an upholstery shop cut out the old one and sew a new one in.

This THING below has a convertible top that is over 20 years old (with the original clear back window). The key is it hardly ever sees the sun and the car never sits outside, for an extended period!