TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 71 standard daily driver *comes to life!! Page: 1, 2  Next
norcalmike Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:46 pm

ok. picked this 71 for 300 with a bad motor. no compression. when i turn it by hand i hit a spot that feels like a bearing came apart in there.

so out come the old and in goes a 1776 and dual 40 dells that have been in the garage waiting for a car to go into.

heres some pics. i just pulled the motor tonight and started putting the parts on the 1776 block.

I know, my pics are blurry, sorry

new motor

i will update the thread as progress continues. right now im waiting for a 3.88 trans. i have a couple of leads that should pan out in a couple of days.
now if i can get RoachGhia to come over and help me with a beam, i'll be rollin nice :wink:

alindeman1989 Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:09 pm

keep up the good work

OTO X58 Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Hell yeah man, its looking good. That should make a really nice daily driver, fatties are the best for that. Get that bad boy up and running, and then we'll build a beam for it one of these weekends.

Couple of questions:

How low?
What wheels?
what brakes?
what tires?

that'll decide how narrow we need to go.

norcalmike Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:00 am

thanks thomas.
just got the trans it should go in by friday.
maybe i should just yank springplates and do it poorman style :shock:

norcalmike Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:26 pm

ok progress has been slow. i was outta the state for a month. just picked up and ADj front beam and the 1776 is together and ready to go in.

new steering wheel and scat shifter is in. looking for some seat alternatives. anyone have suggestions on some seats from other cars that fit nicely?

Kman07 Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:30 pm

Nice, I didn't see this project before. Looks good. What are the specs on the new engine?

norcalmike Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 pm

Kman07 wrote: Nice, I didn't see this project before. Looks good. What are the specs on the new engine?

Honestly, i bought the block used, so i dont know the exact specs.
it does have an 8 doewel flywheel that i assume is CW'ed. heads are stock 040. they look like they have some port and polish work done.
i took all the tin and stuff off the old block that came out of it. i am using 40 dells and a dual quiet pack (because it was in my garage hanging).
i have a 010 dizzy but i need to order a cap and rotor for it.

in addition, im going to beadblast the sportwheels and paint them. im trying to do this on a budget (as many of us are)

OTO X58 Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:23 am

norcalvw wrote:

in addition, im going to beadblast the sportwheels and paint them. im trying to do this on a budget (as many of us are)

We should build a beam for that little bastard, Mike! Do you know which sportwheels you have? 4.5 or 5.5 inch?

norcalmike Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:18 pm

RoachGhia wrote: norcalvw wrote:

We should build a beam for that little bastard, Mike! Do you know which sportwheels you have? 4.5 or 5.5 inch?

I picked up a good used adj beam the other day . complete drum to drum for 85 bucks. i think i just have 4.5 inch. but i havent taken off the wheels to confirm. they look wider than standard stck bug wheels, but that could just be a different offset.

OTO X58 Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:33 pm

norcalvw wrote:

I picked up a good used adj beam the other day . complete drum to drum for 85 bucks. i think i just have 4.5 inch. but i havent taken off the wheels to confirm. they look wider than standard stck bug wheels, but that could just be a different offset.

cool! now narrow it before you install it!

I think the wheel size is stamped on the face of the rim, facing outwards.

norcalmike Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:43 pm

UPDATE!!! It comes to life today.

i took the motor out of a 63 ghia my buddy gave me a while back (future resto). it had 34 frd's on it and the motor was near new.

after getting it fired and a quick test ride i was stoked about the power it had. i thought it was a 1600 but now im not sure. Could just a fresh 1600 with dual 34's have this much balls? I love the dual quiet pack and dual carb sound. keep in mind, i have had all stock cars till now, so its nice to have something with a little throatyness to it.

Anyway, dual carbs are a bitch to install. tight fit. now im having a clearance issue with the right aircleaner hitting the body. ive decided to trip the engine compartment a little to fix that problem.

adjustable beam is next. its in my back yard waiting patiently. right now, im going to fine tune it and terrorize the neighborhood :twisted:

added a scat shifter and a sport wheel out of an early rabbit with a sportbug hub

Urnge74 Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:51 pm

you keepin' the GT wheels?

norcalmike Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:15 pm

Urnge74 wrote: you keepin' the GT wheels?

yeah. they are 5.5" sport wheels. i understand they are one year only 1973. im going to sandblast them next week at my buddy's shop and repaint them silver.

this is a low buck project. so far, im into this car about $500. thats purchase, registration and a few new parts. the motor i already had outta a free ghia and some cosmetic stuff was in my parts bins i have stashed away

Urnge74 Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:21 pm

norcalvw wrote: Urnge74 wrote: you keepin' the GT wheels?

yeah. they are 5.5" sport wheels. i understand they are one year only 1973. im going to sandblast them next week at my buddy's shop and repaint them silver.

this is a low buck project. so far, im into this car about $500. thats purchase, registration and a few new parts. the motor i already had outta a free ghia and some cosmetic stuff was in my parts bins i have stashed away

those wheels have grown on me i think with the right tires and a nice raked stance they can really give the car an aggresive look.

i think a gunmetal would be a nice color. maybe with a diy red pinstripe on the lip

norcalmike Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:26 pm

Urnge74 wrote: norcalvw wrote: Urnge74 wrote: you keepin' the GT wheels?

those wheels have grown on me i think with the right tires and a nice raked stance they can really give the car an aggresive look.

i think a gunmetal would be a nice color. maybe with a diy red pinstripe on the lip

I did think about a darker color actually. i like the gunmetal idea. raked stance coming soon. im going to work on installing the beam on monday.
i think i can go down 3" with the beam. the rear is already low due to weak torsion bars :)

im having a blast with this project.

69 Jim Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:40 pm

Good stuff, keep us posted. 8)

norcalmike Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:54 pm

O.k, update

i installed a 2 inch narrowed beam. i dont have tires yet so i cant go too low. i took a pic of the stance, but it came out too dark.

but heres a little beam shot.

i took it for a spin around town and on the freeway, rides good.
a the KYB's are a little stiff, but i can live with it.

norcalmike Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:16 pm

heres a shot of the car with the 2 inch beam.
avis adjusters down about halfway. stock tires on the front still.
excuse my crappy looking wheels.
rear is 35 year old sag

OTO X58 Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:29 pm

That bug would look sick with some sliver 8 spokes...

norcalmike Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:02 pm

RoachGhia wrote: That bug would look sick with some sliver 8 spokes...

im open to charitable donations :D