TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vent Wing Resto. Thats easy and really works. Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
buster Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:21 pm

I started putting my door window frames together today. Everything when together real easy and as always the vent wing is a bitch. The vent wing seal that came from WW didn't work out so well for me so I thought I would share my process. I used a rubber mallet, some 3M 2242 Rubber Tape, and a exacto knife. The 3M tape is the secret here, makes the the installation real easy. I have outlined the process below with a pics.

Here is were I started.

I used 3M 2242 Rubber Electric Tape.

Wrap the tape around the glass. I used 2 ply thick. Its stretches around the glass real easy.

Smooth the rubber around the corners.

Slide the glass in the frame. It went in real easy for me. If it gets hung up use some soap water, or KY Jelly, Yes i said KY Jelly.

There is a bit of excess hanging out after you get it pushed in all the way.

Trim off the excess with a exacto knife.

After the seal is trimmed.

The window is in. And the tools of the trade.

I didn't apply any window rubber sealant or what ever to keep the glass from sliding out. But honestly its in there really tight so I dont see it being a problem. I hope this helps, good luck.

P.S. I did accidentally brake one of my latches on the corner of my counter top in the process. Anyone got a spare latch around?

Dan

mintonman Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:27 pm

Dan,
you forgot the rain deflector & the latch is for the wrong side.

buster Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:31 pm

mintonman wrote: Dan,
you forgot the rain deflector.
Yeah I know, I didnt install the rain gutter by choice. Figured it would be easier to trim the seal without it there. You dont really need it there anyways.

SurfCityRacing Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:37 pm

Hey Buster, Where'd you get the tape? I've looked at a few different hardware stores and couldn't find it.

Clara Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:50 pm

buster wrote: mintonman wrote: Dan,
Yeah I know, I didnt install the rain gutter by choice. Figured it would be easier to trim the seal without it there. You dont really need it there anyways.
Without the rain guard the rain drips inside the bus (near the driver's left foot) when the window is open. I would definately recommend installing it.
My '53 doesn't have the deflector. I think it was one of those improvements they made at some point after June '53.

ritchiet002 Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:55 pm

SurfCityRacing wrote: Hey Buster, Where'd you get the tape? I've looked at a few different hardware stores and couldn't find it.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=3879&PTECH Here is a place online

mintonman Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:25 pm

Clara wrote: buster wrote: mintonman wrote: Dan,
Without the rain guard the rain drips inside the bus (near the driver's left foot) when the window is open. I would definately recommend installing it.
My '53 doesn't have the deflector. I think it was one of those improvements they made at some point after June '53.

I wasn't even about to go there, I wanted to , but figured he felt VW was all wrong with that deflecter :lol: :lol: To each his own :roll:

pyrOman Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:39 pm

My vent windows are NEVER open! [-X Going on 6 years now since installing the new rubber. Got me a bee in the face once, only ONCE! :|

BeaterBarndoor Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:23 pm

Clara wrote:

to my knowledge,barndoors never used a drip catch. out of curiosity i just checked barndoor.dk and none had them,that id seen . my old 55 post bd however did have them. id say its a post bd addition.

Stocknazi Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:00 pm

cool tip on using rubber tape. i used "glass tape," which was not really tape, on my last windows and got ok results. might try the tape thing next time.

EL DUB Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:24 pm

That tape is available at the depot. Its in a special section of electrical tapes, the bigger widths and such. Not in those bins with the crappy .49-1.99 tapes.

mintonman Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:25 pm

Does look nice :wink:

Andrew Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:05 pm

Clara wrote: buster wrote: mintonman wrote: Dan,

Personally, I just try not to have the windows open in the rain... :wink: :lol:

We didn't realize until afterward that we forgot the rain deflectors and that the latches were on the wrong side on my vent windows, either, or else we would have put them in. IMO, though, it has a much cleaner look without the rain deflectors.

Long-roofs Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:20 pm

BeaterBarndoor wrote: Clara wrote:

to my knowledge,barndoors never used a drip catch. out of curiosity i just checked barndoor.dk and none had them,that id seen . my old 55 post bd however did have them. id say its a post bd addition.

Correct, as far as I know. My 1148xx Barndoor does not have the gutters, has original glass and original crusty rubber. I know I have some gutters off a Wolfsburg Bus, not sure if they are different than '57 or '58's.

DaveM Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:16 am

StockNazi wrote: cool tip on using rubber tape. i used "glass tape," which was not really tape, on my last windows and got ok results. might try the tape thing next time.

this coming from someone named 'stocknazi' :roll:

Stocknazi Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:24 pm

DaveM wrote: StockNazi wrote: cool tip on using rubber tape. i used "glass tape," which was not really tape, on my last windows and got ok results. might try the tape thing next time.

this coming from someone named 'stocknazi' :roll:

funny daveM, you bustin' my balls man :lol:
the glass tape is rubber and does appear stock, so i am ok with it.
the rubber i got was way too thick and i had to find an alternative to it.

i like stock buses, but i don't get that anal about things.

Ian Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:57 pm

I believe the new rubbers are supposed to be thick. It's only a press-fit. If it is loosey-goosey in there it will fall out, while driving.

I wouldn't use electrical tape.

SurfCityRacing Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:37 pm

Found the tape at the Depot today and finished my windows. They look great. I forgot the drip guard in the first one (Even after reading this. Guess I'm a dumbass). I took it apart to add the drip guard, and let me tell you it was a beeeotch getting it apart. If you screw up, take all of the tape off and do it again. It stretches and bunches up the second time around. Do it right the first time, pay attention.

Thanks for the help!

Hard to see, but here it is:

mintonman Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:36 pm

The wing/vent window is for when it IS raining for us smokers, also helps defog the windshield on those hot humid rainy days. Thats another reason I hate new cars, no wing windows. There is nothing like them on hot days except safaris. :wink:

DaveM Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:01 pm

SurfCityRacing wrote: <snip>Do it right the first time<snip>

... and just buy some damn rubber pieces from Ronnie or WW or someone else.