TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Location of Oil Filter on a buggy Page: 1, 2  Next
mantaray Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:25 am

Right this is where i used to have it on my 1600cc.

I have now built a new 1915cc with loads of goodies. still going for full flow so wondering where anyone else puts there filters. I am not fussed if i cant see it but i would like it facing down as it was originally. Jsut not sure about having near to back tyre.

Please post some piccies for inspiration.

Andy :D

jspbtown Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:33 am

Not sure if you can see from this pic but I mounted it right near the battery box on my Manx. I used some 1/4"x2" plate and fit a piece inside the upper, inside area of the shock mount. I then came off of it with a piece of the same stock, about 6" long at a 90 degreee angle. I then bolted my filter adapter to it. For reference it ended up right above the bend in the ebrake cable.

lostinbaja Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:52 am

Here is the oil filter on my Manx.

mantaray Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:17 am

thanks for the pics, this is an area i though would be good i suppose it doesnt matter if you add oil capacity by having longer oil lines to and from filter. Just out of interest you can see the my picture in first thread?

I am at work and its not displaying it for some reason.

I have to make some new lines anyway as would like to swap to SS braid jobbys!

I am thinking i will go behind the left hand side of motor on fibreglass(looking from the back of car).

Dale M. Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:10 am

Picture is showing.... Maybe works "firewall" is blocking pic...

You can put filter almost anyplace... My only concern is out where you have it, it looks like its actually behind tire.... Make it vulnerable to anything (road hazard) kicked up by tires... IF its more protected it may mean you don't have to push the car home after some outing...

Dale

5150bossman Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:10 am

Here is ours. I have a heat sink wrap around the filter from J.C. Whitney which also helps with any rocks kicked up by the tires. It is also somewhat protected by the motor and exhaust.

One thing to keep in mind is the longer the lines, the more resistance you will have, which also means less oil flow.

Also, if you are using steel braided lines, try to keep them from touching, as they will chaffe against each other like little files due to road vibration until there is a hole in one line. Have seen this happen more than once, even when they were zip tied to each other. One thing you could do is cut a long piece of bike tire inner tube to put between the lines to cushion them before zip tying them together. Best is to use short lines that do not touch. FYI.

lostinbaja Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:12 pm

To beat the resistence/length, I went with -10 line instead of -8 line.

tgodber Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:30 pm

This seems like a good location. Pete makes the brackets if someone needs one. Contact: [email protected]

This is not my buggy. I just borrowed the picture for this thread. I would like to have this buggy tho!

[/url]

Iowa Mark Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:40 pm

Snuggled up to the head with short little hoses.

mantaray Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:48 am

Thanks for all the replies its good to get a good poll on these things.

Here is a picture of my nearly completed 1915cc that i am wondering where i will put the filter. I like where tgodber has put his but then it is a little close to zorst and that may heat up the oil a bit??

Andy :D

SiggyManx#33 Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:22 am

I used the filter mount from Pete as well. The filter is well protected and easy to get to for changes. I could see the exaust possibly warming the filter but it hasn't been an issue for me.

mantaray Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:44 am

So does this bracket use the exhaust studs for fixing it to engine? And then has the three mounting holes for oil filter housing?

Thanks

Andy

SiggyManx#33 Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:04 am

exactly.....

Flat4Tom Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:07 pm

Here's a pic of my 2010cc engine waiting to go into my Deserter. Strange for me that the engine is ready before the car, but I digress...

The filter mount is attached to the #4 exhaust studs. It's a billet alum. Bugpack filter mount. The oil lines are not near the exhaust enough to bother them, but I will be wrapping them in Firebraid just to be safe.

Regards,
Tom

Letterman7 Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:45 pm

Damn Tom...that filter looks like it's hanging pretty low. I'd be paranoid about impact punctures there, both from the tire and regular road debris. Any way to flip that filter mount upside down, and add some angled fittings to the lines to get that thing up higher?

Rick

Flat4Tom Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:23 pm

Rick,

Sure, anything's possible. That's just the way I got it from my engine builder. I'm not crazy about that exhaust, so if I ever decide to change it, I'll probably relocate the filter as you say. Right now it's just sitting on a furniture dolly there so I can move it around.

It's really not that low. Doesn't hang down any lower than the bottom of the valve covers. The filter is a System 1 and is kind of short, and it also has a aluminum housing.

Tom

Letterman7 Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:10 pm

:D Must be the camera angle. That can looks like it's about 3" off the ground!

nomis Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:14 am

hey mantaray....

any more pics of the car?

Good to see another UK contributor! :D

lostinbaja Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:40 am

SiggyManx#33 wrote: I used the filter mount from Pete as well. The filter is well protected and easy to get to for changes. I could see the exaust possibly warming the filter but it hasn't been an issue for me.

Are you using the large capacity filter or regular capacity filter? How do you like cleaning the filter? Cleaning the filter is the only aspect I really don't think I would like.

mantaray Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:49 am

Hello nomis,

Yes i will post lots more pics i have many!

:D