TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: tach?
wackert Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:57 pm

so im wanting to install a monster tach in my car but have no idea what wires do what. theres a black red white and green noramal gage wire then in a smaller gage theres two orange and two brown. just need to i guess find out what wires do what? thanks

emersonbiggins Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:04 pm

Are you looking behind the dash?
Are you looking in the engine compartment?
Did the tach come with any directions?

wackert Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:49 pm

its an auto meter monster tach and no theres no directions

Ian Epperson Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:03 pm

Here's the instructions for the Mini-Monster tach:
http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/1127.pdf

Black - ground
Red - power (fused from the ignition switch)
White - dash lighting
Green - signal (either negative side of the coil or the electronic ignition trigger)

The manual shows wires and a connector for a shift light, so I assume that the smaller orange and brown wires are for that purpose.

wackert Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:39 pm

yeah that helps a lil thanks now just need to figure out those other wires cause there a seperate deal for the shift light

Patina Turner Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:32 am

The small wires on the bottom are for making it a 4,6,or,8 cylinder tach there is a way to cut them so it works with a vw I'm not sure what that is its been a while but I'm sure someone knows. They should be looped back into the tach from the factory if they are cut that means someone has already set it up for the motor they were using it on best of luck o and I think I cut both but don't take my word on it.

Patina Turner Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:37 am

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/atm-233905.pdf

This should be the instructions you need. josh

wackert Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:38 am

hey thanks man yeah thats what i was lookin for and those wires are already cut for a 4 banger so im good to go thanks agian man