TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Deluxe bumper trim Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
ukdj Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:15 pm

Do you think they used a special tool to put that rubber in Do you think it was cut by machine or by hand?

derv Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:20 pm

ukdj wrote: Do you think they used a special tool to put that rubber in Do you think it was cut by machine or by hand?

Hey Craig -

I was flipping through my bentley yesterday and saw that there was a special tool used to insert the rubber into the trim.

I am sure it can be done using something else.

Andrew Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:28 pm

derv wrote: ukdj wrote: Do you think they used a special tool to put that rubber in Do youthink it was cut by machine or by hand?

Hey Craig -

I was flipping through my bentley yesterday and saw that there was a special tool used to insert the rubber into the trim.

I am sure it can be done using something else.

We did mine using a flat head screw driver. Just be careful not to slip and stab the bus. :lol:

Scotts 63 23 Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:19 am

I used a flat burnishing tool made of bone to push the rubber into the slot.

I cut the rough shape of the rubber with a knife/utility blade, then sanded it down, eventually wet sanding the rubber and then waxing it when finished. Turned out perfect!

Riff Raff Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:33 am

Yeah, that rubber cuts/sands/buffs surprisingly well.
I used a large flat blade screwdriver on baby oil soaked pieces and installation went pretty easy.

ukdj Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:23 pm

i,ve put it in before i was just wondering if it was pre made by a machine or if they cut it or filed it by hand at the factory?All those years ago

Lind Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:29 pm

ukdj wrote: i,ve put it in before i was just wondering if it was pre made by a machine or if they cut it or filed it by hand at the factory?All those years ago
I have had NOS trim inserts, and they were cut and sanded smooth. they were not formed ends.

twinwindows Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:09 pm

Lind wrote: ukdj wrote: i,ve put it in before i was just wondering if it was pre made by a machine or if they cut it or filed it by hand at the factory?All those years ago
I have had NOS trim inserts, and they were cut and sanded smooth. they were not formed ends.

Hmm.. Thanks for the info

Stocknazi Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:58 am

derv wrote: ukdj wrote: Do you think they used a special tool to put that rubber in Do youthink it was cut by machine or by hand?

Hey Craig -

I am sure it can be done using something else. where in the bently manuel was the pic of the special tool you are refering to? is this in the 50-62 bently?

Empicollector Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:39 am

I use a wooden kitchen spoon--works good and no damage----and warm the rubber first

EverettB Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:14 pm

StockNazi wrote: derv wrote: ukdj wrote: Do you think they used a special tool to put that rubber in Do youthink it was cut by machine or by hand?
I am sure it can be done using something else. where in the bently manuel was the pic of the special tool you are refering to? is this in the 50-62 bently?
In the body section

EverettB Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Lind wrote: ukdj wrote: i,ve put it in before i was just wondering if it was pre made by a machine or if they cut it or filed it by hand at the factory?All those years ago
Yes, my original inserts from my '64 are clearly hand shaped. They are not even perfectly smooth, although the shaping is pretty even. I'm wondering if they cut them with a hot knife.

My technique:
1. Cut strip from roll. If using original pieces as a pattern, make sure they haven't shrunk when you cut the overall length.
2. Cut rough shape with a box knife or razor blade.
3. Carefully shape with bench grinder
4. Hand sand/shape with 60 grit on block and free hand
5. Smooth out minor scratches and final shaping with 150 grit
6. Wet sand with 600 grit
7. Wet sand with 2000 grit
8. Buff with some paint polish
9. Install

A wooden kitchen spoon works great to push the insert into the trim, although I prefer to push from the bottom. Use the handle end, not the spoon end. The spoon end will break if it's too thin.

Do the fronts first so if you screw up, you can cut it down and make a rear.

Split 1 Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:32 am

Can you buy repro inserts, or what are people using.
Thanks
Dave

IN2RUST Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:34 am

Yes, wolfsburg west sells repop insert. Fairly inexpensive

EverettB Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:34 am

Yes, it comes in a big long strip that you have to cut and shape.

The roll I bought, sourced from Wolfsburg West, had enough for an extra piece. Maybe a front, definitely a rear.

Some pics of me roughing it in a front bumper point:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=505345
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=505344
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=505343
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=505342

Rich Hanson Sun May 10, 2009 6:54 am

I just finished installing the rubber insert on the bumper trim I bought from Westling Machine. Instead of using a grinder to shape the rubber, I used a 4-way wood rasp (available at most hardware stores) to work the rubber (Wolfsburg West). In just minutes, I had the shape I needed and kept the mess to a minimum. I used the finer "teeth" on the rasp to clean it up, then used Everett's suggestion on sanding and finishing.
I used a wood block with a taper on one end to push and roll the upper bead of the rubber into the trim. Worked good!

Split 1 Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:14 am

I bought the insert from WW but its for the US spec ones and I can only get 3 of the Euro ones out of a length, so now I have to order another length, 8 foot for just one insert??

I also found it easier to get in if you let is soften in boiling water for a few minutes first.

Dave

Damon22 Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:27 am

I bought the inserts in 4 strips from Creative Engineering, I mentioned that I have a Wolfsburg bus and therefore the front inserts are longer and Mandy told me their trims come in lengths to compensate for that, 2 short 2 long.

I used a grinder to shape them, came out perfect. I was dreading geting them in, given the agro getting the old ones out, but it was a breeze.
Dunked the strips in a bucket of hot water for 10 minutes before fitting each one.

Following Everetts advice I used a liberal application of personal lubricant (unflavoured) and a wooden Spatchula.

Rich Hanson Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:13 am

I had e-mailed W/W with the suggestion that they offer the inserts in both 8' & 10' rolls, so that those with pressed bumpers can get all 4 pieces from one 10' roll. If enough people e-mailed that to them, hopefully they'd be responsive enough to customers to accommodate that request. Even if they charged a little bit more proportionate to the length, it'd still be better than having to order an additional piece for just one 30" strip of insert.

hitest Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:39 pm

If WW just offered the 10 foot lengths- I'd still buy it. I'd use the extra couple feet as a tire stop so my wife will stop running her car into the water softener!