TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Curtain kits for GL w/o original curtain kit Page: 1, 2  Next
Chuck77 Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:40 pm

My local german auto wrecker has been assimilated, it is now domestic only. I am looking for a junkyard find, or maybe some tips on a DIY curtain kit for my GL. As my daily driver, sometimes I sneak in a nap or two when I am out all night working, and have to return to work for the day shift. Keeping some light out of the cabin seems like a damn good idea lately. Any tips?

MattVW Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:53 pm

this is an easy install...

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4177&category_id=329&category_parent_id=

-MattVW

Terry Kay Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:56 pm

A Fabric store would be the first stop, to choose some material, & a snap kit.

You can go the Carat / Wolfsburg attachment approach, and snap them in the window's.

Make a curtain that hangs behind the front seat's--with snaps on the B-pillar as the Carat & Wolfsburg does.

If you want sliding curtains, bicycle brake cable works well, and while a bit more elaborate, it also is a good attachment method.

You don't want fagged out sun bleached used curtains.
They'll stink, won't take a good washing well without falling apart, and won't last very long.

The only westfalia curtains that will work in your GL are the rear hatch, & the front window without westy specific curtain hanging hardware--which won't fit in your GL.

VisPacem Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:56 am

Chuck77 wrote: My local german auto wrecker has been assimilated, it is now domestic only. I am looking for a junkyard find, or maybe some tips on a DIY curtain kit for my GL. As my daily driver, sometimes I sneak in a nap or two when I am out all night working, and have to return to work for the day shift. Keeping some light out of the cabin seems like a damn good idea lately. Any tips?

I have been pursuing exactly this same project for several months. First I tried to find a set of Westy rods everywhere. It would seem that the curtains are aplenty but that the rods have vanished from the recyclers and none are to be found in the classified, on Ebay, the various VW groups or CraigList.

I have also considered the GoWesty solution as basically the pleated curtains they offer are readily available at Home Depot or Lowe's. What they did is turn them 90 degrees. I am not sure that this solution will allow you to easily operate the sliding door and the windows when the curtains are drawn.

I was told several months ago of the bicycle cable solution. My concern is that they must/will (?) sag and that does not solve the problem of the sliding door.

Therefore, I have acquired a piece of flat aluminum and will this week go and have it shaped for the curve of the sliding door. The other windows should be a piece of cake as they are just straight pieces of flat metal, if I recall correctly the set up in my first Vanagon which was a Westphalia. As far as the front is concerned my solution is to install a rod across the vehicle, behind the front seats and Voila.
It's easy to say, but considering the very slow pace of my modifications it may take awhile.
Anyway, I shall post pictures and whatever details might be of importance once I make actual progress.

Terry Kay Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:54 am

<<I have been pursuing exactly this same project for several months. First I tried to find a set of Westy rods everywhere.>>

A Westfalia has rod's in one place.
On the rear hatch.
The rest of the window's have curtain slider tracks whch will not work at all in A GL, Carat, or Wolfsburg.

<< It would seem that the curtains are aplenty but that the rods have vanished from the recyclers and none are to be found>>

The answer is simple to this --there is none for your application.

<<I was told several months ago of the bicycle cable solution. My concern is that they must/will (?) sag and that does not solve the problem of the sliding door.>>

The bottom curtain rods / hanger's in a Westy are bicycle cable.

If you pull them taunt they won't sag at all.
I had a curtain set I made in my
85 GL, and used the bicycle cables.
Worked out real nice, looked good.

<<Therefore, I have acquired a piece of flat aluminum and will this week go and have it shaped for the curve of the sliding door.>>

Your talking about the curve of the track inside of the Van--right?
If you make three tight bends for the screews to mount the rail--it'll fit onto the door and clear the side of the Van.
Bicycle cables clear the side of the van when the door is open with no problems.
It keeps the curtains tight to the inside door frame.

Snaps work even better,and will get your curtains mounted in record time.

<< As far as the front is concerned my solution is to install a rod across the vehicle, behind the front seats and Voila.>>

Snaps in this postion on the B-pillar's makes this an easy job--

Or you could install snaps over the top of winshield as the stock Westy has.

ratfarmer_vw Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:44 pm

I have been also brainstorming on how to make some curtains for my Vanagon.

Let me know what you think about using something like this?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=44497&cat=3,42363

Terry Kay Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:35 pm

Curtains on the back door of your house, apartment,or mobil home are not usually privacy type curtains, and are pretty light in weight.

If your planing on using cheesecloth curtains in your van--This magnetic arrangement just might work.

However, if you are expecting some sort of privacy in the Van with the addition of curtains, don't expect the magnets to be holding up anything you can't see through.

Maybe get your window's limo tinted first for about $250.00, then add the magnetic light weight curtain mounts.

This set up will give you some privacy in the back of the Van.

How would these magnetic curtain mounts work up in front?

I sewed in black darkening polyester in between the inside and the outside panels of my curtains--I wanted it dark in the Van--and private.

In don't think the magnet curtain mounts will hold anything up of substance.
They'll be constantly falling off the window frame's because of the interior vinyl that runs up to the rubber window channel's.

Steelhead Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:31 pm

a couple yards of heavy-ish fabric, a sewing machine, and some snaps is really the most economical and attractive way to go. Snaps that screw into the metal can be purchase or made (with little sheet metal screws). Be sure to wash and hot dry the material before measuring/cutting and leave an inch or two on the edge so that you can have nice finished edges. With multiple snaps along top and bottom, as well as strips of material to make ties, you can have the curtains partial opened. or completely off. Use extra material to make a stuff sack to store the curtains in when not in use.

ratfarmer_vw Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:35 pm

Hahah, it was worth a shot?

VisPacem Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:59 am

Terry Kay wrote: <<I have been pursuing exactly this same project for several months. First I tried to find a set of Westy rods everywhere.>>

A Westfalia has rod's in one place.
On the rear hatch.
The rest of the window's have curtain slider tracks whch will not work at all in A GL, Carat, or Wolfsburg.

Hi Terry
Thanks for the information. Your setup suggestion has lots of merit but it is not really what I had visualized. Also, I am sorry if I used the wrong terminology regarding rods.

>My< ex-Westphalia (1982) was equipped with --flat metal-- "holders" two on the back door/hatch, one above of the rear window, one below. Whether they are called slides, rods or whatever, the curtain, let's say the cloth (2 pieces) would slide on said flat metal. The side windows had also flat metal pieces of metal, rods, slides or whatever we want call them, **at the top only**, with plastic coated cable, wire, (bicycle cable) at the bottom. The curtain for the slide door was hanging from yet one more piece of flat metal shaped to espouse, go over, cover or whatever we want call it, the "curve of the track of the slide door".
Now that I have re-invented the wheel and the nail (just joking) and that we know, I hope, what the good old curtain setup is on the Westphalia, or at least my ex-Westphalia, we can perhaps proceed to finding a solution to hang curtains on a GL, Carat or Wolsfburg.

Now, please, do not misunderstand me. I am not trying to be argumentative or critical, just trying to understand.

Is there any reason why the curtain setup of the Westphalia could NOT be replicated on a GL, a Carat or a Wolfsburg ?

Naturally taking into consideration that said vehicles not having the rear cabinet would require one additional flat metal piece, rod, slider or whatever we want call it.

Actually, your solution for the slide door is most attractive as with the Westphalia setup, the door opens, the curtain stays shut ( if it was already pulled naturally). The problem is that for some reason, I just can't visualize your setup despite your excellent explanations.
What would be great would be to to be able to --see it--. If you had any photos that would be of great help, at least to me.
I also considered your suggestion to use snaps. The problem (for me) with using snaps is:
1- curtain open, will they hang down ?
2- partially open, will they also hang down ?
3- Will they have to be removed and stored somewhere, using valuable space when not in use. My only storage being under the rear seat/bed, already crammed with rear heater, jack, lug wrench, spare gas can, chains, small tool box, motor oil, jug of coolant, first aid kit and my metal "insurance policy", I do not believe I could or would add yet another package.
4-Wouldn't it be a pain when needed to dig them out, snap them and vice versa when not in use ?

Anyway, thank you for the information and the suggestions that I greatly appreciate. Keep them coming. All constructive opinions are most welcome as is your valuable recommendations

LG "VisPacemPB"

Savat Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:50 am

For our transporter I went to the fabric store and chose a dark print. Then we ordered a bunch of small round earth magnets. http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=17
I chose the surplus ZD2
I doubled the fabric to ensure no light getting through and then sewed the magnets around the edges of the fabric. The hardest part of the project was measuring the different window sizes and cutting, sewing accordingly.
They are a quick and easy to put up, and do a fine job.

brooklynvanagon Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:44 am

Nice, any pics? Spacing of the magnets?

Savat wrote: For our transporter I went to the fabric store and chose a dark print. Then we ordered a bunch of small round earth magnets. http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=17
I chose the surplus ZD2
I doubled the fabric to ensure no light getting through and then sewed the magnets around the edges of the fabric. The hardest part of the project was measuring the different window sizes and cutting, sewing accordingly.
They are a quick and easy to put up, and do a fine job.

danfromsyr Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:55 am

some 'rare earth' magnets will certainly hold even a heavy drapery in the sizes of the vanagon wondows.

they can be gotten from scientific supply or probably from Ebay.

on my ASI Riviera, my curtains are on snaps and slider tracks (standard @ RV supply places)
the slider door window snaps on and stays on when you open it.

I use a travel clothes bar that stretches across the backseats of cars across my front door pillars and hang a towel for my front curtain. it can be left up when in transit.. and gives the vehicle that look of not quite so lived in when viewed in a parking lot stealth sleeping etc..

my friend used the static cling self applied room darking film from your local big box hardware for his privacy windows.. was under $50 for all windows.. they have great 'iced glass, and floral' patterns as well .

Savat Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:23 pm

I looked but I don't have any pictures... the magnet spacing is about maybe every 5 inches or so along the top more spaced out along the bottom. The sides have maybe just one or two just to keep it in place so there is no gaps. The van is a 1990 so there is not alot of metal like an older van and it works well.

KeninMorganHill Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:29 pm

I just picked-up a set of curtain rods out a mid 80's GL at the local P'n'P. Curtains were absent, but all of the rods were still there. I'd let 'em go for $18.00 + Shipping, if anyone's interested.

- Ken (in Morgan Hill / [email protected])

doublez72 Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:48 pm

Working on my curtains right now. But I got some of those extra black knobs that I can't figure out what their purpose was for and I'm going to use a stiff bungee cord between them. As I said don't have the curtains done but I think it'll work. I'll let everyone know when I'm done sewing.

later,

Joe

Savat Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:55 am

I believe those black knobs you are referring to are coat, hat hooks.

ratfarmer_vw Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:56 pm

danfromsyr wrote: some 'rare earth' magnets will certainly hold even a heavy drapery in the sizes of the vanagon windows.

Not according to......
Terry Kay wrote: If your planing on using cheesecloth curtains in your van--This magnetic arrangement just might work.

I posted a link above that had some rare earth magnetic curtain rod holders that i'm going to try out with some hi-end Lutron black out shade material that I got from a friend.

Terry Kay Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:13 am

I guess my question is---and as I have mentioned in a prior post--
How in the heck are you going to get any knda magnet--rare of not, to stick through some sort of heavy curtain material, and then through the glued on side wall vinyl that's on the inside of the Van--right up to the rubber moulding's of the window's?

I can't see them hanging too long withou falling.

Rare earth magnets ain't cheap either--not as inexpensive as a bag of snaps are anyway---and I do know snaps will hold the curtains on without fail.

Flat aluminum Westy type rear hatch-- L/H rear window rods would be simple and inexpensive too-

SQUiGGLLii Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:18 am

sash rods guys they are called sash rods google them heres my very first look at google finding the curtain rods
http://curtainrods.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cartlink=sashrods.htm&cart_id=