TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Best procedure to rebuilding floor pans?
homeworld8118 Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:58 pm

What are the best/most efficient steps to rebuilding floor pans? I plan on using steel tubing and welding in diamond plated sheet metal for floors, and i plan to prime and coat everything else in bed liner. So should i cut out the old pans shorten it and then coat everything, or weld in the tubing and plating and then coat everything 100% assembled. i had also planed on cutting the plate of the bottom of the center support and welding in a plate and have it do i can remove it so i can access the cables and gear selector easer in the future.

also do you cut the original gear selector arm to size or do you order a already shortened one?

Thanks

HeidelbergJohn4.0 Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:34 pm

I would shorten everything first, then fabricate your side rails. If you are using steel diamond plate, I would complete the entire thing, then seal with bed liner. If you are using aluminum diamond plate and want to see the shiny plate, i would coat the frame, then attach the aluminum, then coat only the bottom again so it is all sealed.

It would help knowing how you plan to use the buggy, but I would just rebuild everything inside the tunnel, run new fuel lines, make sure everything is all tucked away properly then replace the bottom plate and weld it all back up. What's in there has lasted 30 years or more, do it right and the next owner can re-do it 30 from now.

I'm not aware of a pre shortened shift rod. That's the easy part of shortenong the chassis.

HeidelbergJohn4.0 Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:35 pm

I would shorten everything first, then fabricate your side rails. If you are using steel diamond plate, I would complete the entire thing, then seal with bed liner. If you are using aluminum diamond plate and want to see the shiny plate, i would coat the frame, then attach the aluminum, then coat only the bottom again so it is all sealed.

It would help knowing how you plan to use the buggy, but I would just rebuild everything inside the tunnel, run new fuel lines, make sure everything is all tucked away properly then replace the bottom plate and weld it all back up. What's in there has lasted 30 years or more, do it right and the next owner can re-do it 30 from now.

I'm not aware of a pre shortened shift rod. That's the easy part of shortenong the chassis.

Glasser Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:03 pm

When shortening the shifter rod cut as close to the weld as you can. Take a grinder and remove the weld. You should be able to chisel the remaining rod out from the inside. Cut the rod to the desired length, shove back into the hole and weld. Very clean "factory" look to the shortened rod.
Don't try and splice in the middle somewhere as you wont be able to slide it through your shifter bushing.

mach4 Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:39 am

Great idea. I used the technique of cutting in the middle and using an old socket to sleeve the tube. But your idea is the best. Thanks