TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: stereo
bob cook Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:00 pm

Does anyone know if you can mount a cd player straight up or on it side and still work good I was thinking about mounting one in an armrest/console with a lid to keep it weather tight any comments suggestions thanks mike

RaythO Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:16 pm

most quality stereos can be mounted face up without any problem. some of the cheap brands have a hard time keeping the lazer alined if not laying flat

seabeebuggy Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:10 pm

yes they can, I would say skip the Cd player and go to mp3 . this way you have all your songs and no skipping if off road. nothing gets dirty, CD players hate dust. Mine is not working too well and is still new.. I don't bother with the cd any more and just plug in the MP3.. just a suggestion. If you don't have a MP3 plug in . you can get a transceiver for 15$ and play it on the radio.

kustoms Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:14 am

It is being said that the optical reader / CD player will be fazed out with in a few years. You may want to rethink your project.

lostinbaja Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:01 am

What are they planning to replace it with? Any thoughts? I know MP3's don't have the sound quality of a CD.

RaythO Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:19 am

Chip based does have the same quality as CD (both digital). It`s the sampling rate that most use, 128 kbps. a CD uses 320 kbps compresion. Most people can`t hear a differance between the 2 but if you want true CD quality try ACC or WMA encoding. I use MP3 at 192 kbps and bet noone can tell it`s not CD

kustoms Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:10 am

Some units even have USB doggle ports for the fob drives. The quality is getting better but it will never be as good as analog. BTW an MP3 is a compression and the unit has to fill in the missing gaps. That is why the quality is not so good. I have a player that will allow me to save the complete song without compression. WAV or WMA file. They sound much better. Just don't allow compression when ripping from the CD.

Endoboy Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:35 pm

It's really the rate of compression that's key. Yes, at 128k sampling rates, CDs and analog are much better. But at 196k, I seriously doubt most listeners could tell the difference. Try re-ripping one of your favorite songs with a wide dynamic range at 196k and then listen side-by-side. Then post your response and let's see if you still think MP3s can't compare.

lostinbaja Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:41 pm

The place I noticed the difference betwenn CD and MP3 was at speed in a friend's buggy. You could understand and hear the music clearer with the CD then you could with the same song playing on the MP3 player. The wind noise and road noise all played into it.
All the more reason I leave the music in the car and out of the buggy.

kustoms Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:08 pm

An MP3 has tinny characteristics and is more shallow in complexity. The MP3 player has to replace components of the file that the computer program removed to compress and convert it to MP3. This is fine for small players like an Ipod or another small player. The speakers are small and your cramming the sound in to your ears but if you are to replay it on a quality stereo you will certainly here the difference.

lazybonz Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:53 pm

It depends on the quality of the file made if the mp3 is a good file made with pro software it sounds just fine on a stereo. Tom is right. If you have a good ear you can hear the differnt but on a auto sound system you won't hear the differnt unless the file was made in poor quality. Plus if you use a ipod that will connect using radio signals it will sound differnt. if it pluged into it it will sound better.

Bug4ME1969 Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:14 pm

I just finish putting tune in my buggy. I went with a marine radio/speakers that I had when I upgrade the system in my boat because I knew the radio might get a little wet. This radio has a "hard wired" remote which fit nicely on the dash. Furthermore, the CD area has a rubber seal to keep junk out. I know there is fully water proof radio which is made for a spa but I cann't remmember who made it.