TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brakes for older pans 56
kdaug5 Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:37 am

I know brakes is a hot topic, but my question is for the older pans where even the drum parts get expensive or hard to find.

I need to rebuild my brakes since my buggy has been sitting for awhile. I don't have special wheels so changing lug pattern not that big of deal. Also want a good set up without breaking the bank.

Thanks for the help.

Iowa Mark Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:18 pm

The front beam out of another link pin chassis will bolt right on your '56 and give you real bearings (not micarta bushings) and wider and easier to find brakes. If you still have the old split case non-syncro transaxle out back, find a newer swing axle unit and it will include better brakes and syncros. Sell the old stuff to a restorer and everybody has a Christmas smile. :D

CrashedAgain Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:36 pm

Even if you don't replace the whole beam, the front brakes from a newer link pin unit will bolt on. You will need the entire brake assembly including the drums and backing plates.
I think the same is true for the back brakes. The recommended back brake replacement is drums from a type 3 but you have to machine a bit off the hub part of the drum as it is too long.