TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I broke my buggy!!!
roblafd1 Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:31 pm

We were all having a great day in the desert........

When after a small hill climb.............boom.........glad it happened here, and not on the street...........but it still hurts to see her on the trailer bleeding............

The PO had drilled the drums and installed studs. I was not using them, but rather the big 5. I should have been suspicious......

Kinda cool though, just the day before, I got the new disk kit for the rear!! So I have all the parts to fix her. Now all I need is the time

Jimmler Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:06 pm

Unless the wheel cylinder got damaged when the drum broke, it looks like it was time for brake work anyway. Things look pretty moist in there.

Dale M. Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:50 pm

Just a question....

Do you have wheel adapters on buggy... Are you running a small 5 bolt pattern alloy wheel with wide five drums and adapters?

Dale

Mr Bs Bug N Buggy Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:58 am

Dale M. wrote: Just a question....

Do you have wheel adapters on buggy... Are you running a small 5 bolt pattern alloy wheel with wide five drums and adapters?

Dale

Quote: The PO had drilled the drums and installed studs. I was not using them, but rather the big 5. I should have been suspicious......

Oil_Eater Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:39 am

Not that it matters because ultimately your buggy was out of commission, but of the three (of five) weakened areas of the drum, one was a previous and existing fracture.

Sorry to hear it put your buggy out of commission, but like you said, at least this didn't happen on the road. That could have been a lot worse.

Jay

rterfert Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:58 am

Quote: The PO had drilled the drums and installed studs. I was not using them, but rather the big 5......I should have been suspicious......
:shock: Nice buggy, would be a shame to get cheap on the right parts.

Anything that looks like that I throw into the scrap metal pile and I (stick with stock)
Call the PO and tell them to quit getting creative trying to reinvent the wheel.

I dont mind studs on the stock 5 hole location you can tell there is material left in that area.....the PO's small 5 hole pattern :roll:
Well now you know for next time....good thing you wernt up to speed in a left turn.

rterfert Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:06 am

Jimmler wrote: Unless the wheel cylinder got damaged when the drum broke, it looks like it was time for brake work anyway. Things look pretty moist in there.

I'm sure that happened when he hit the brakes trying to stop the buggy with no drum.