TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Roll Cage
my65bug Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:50 pm

As it seems most of the "hawaii" style cars have the same style cage installed. Is this a kit?

Such as....

lostinbaja Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:48 am

I have never seen a kit for them. I would bet they have one guy in the group that bends them up. They don't seem to care that they all look the same, with the exception of the top bars.

my65bug Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:53 am

Well crap. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go custom.

RaythO Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:58 am

going customs half the fun!!

my65bug Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:02 am

True but this is a customer car.

Dale M. Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:03 am

Actually that style appeared atleast 5-6 years ago... On mainland.... Just must be there is only one roll cage builder in the islands...

My buggy was complete down to bare chassis rebuild in 2002 with that cage style added...

Dale

BIG BALLS MAGEE Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:20 am

mine is going to neil at hawkeye buggys this sunday to get the cage built

EMPIImp69 Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:32 am

On some of those Hawain buggies it looks like you'd hit you head on the cross bars since all the windshields are chopped, they do look badass though.

Yellermanx Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:53 am

I have commented before on how all the Hawaiian buggies look alike, all bright colors with fancy paint, flames, street look etc. Same goes for the European style, African style, American style and anywhere else.

There are only so many ways you can do a cage. You need a window hoop and a head hoop then tie them together however you want for looks. Yea I know you can do a halo or front to back side hoop, but it appears that most prefer the above look.

MURZI Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:16 pm

I call the that look the "just badass" look. It defines and breathes....I can whip yo V8 butt....... Try me.

tom casteel Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:33 pm

Does anyone know how the windshield is attached to the rollbars on the frameless ones?

Mongo63 Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:59 pm

tom casteel wrote: Does anyone know how the windshield is attached to the rollbars on the frameless ones? There's a specific weatherstripping that will seal glass to round tube.

jbbugs Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:16 pm

Fisher Buggies makes a roll cage kit that fits the Berrien Buggies. I only had to shorten a couple of tubes to fit mine.

manxracer1 Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:12 am

Shear speed 760) 871-1087

Lo' Cash Lester Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:13 pm

tom casteel wrote: Does anyone know how the windshield is attached to the rollbars on the frameless ones?

I drilled and tapped the bar then drilled the lexan wind shield. Used rubber washers in between the lexan and the bar. Worked great!

RCros Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:24 pm

On page 2 there is a post from jspbtown that shows Hawkeye's Buggies cage. It comes in pieces and just needs to be welded. I got the price from them the other day at $150.00 plus shipping. It looks to be a really good price for a kit ready to weld. I think I'm going to order one for my project.[/img]

RaythO Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:34 pm

RCros, check with jsp before ordering it if you have never put a cage together. I`ve built lots of stock car cages and some were kits. I`ve never got a kit that fit right from a manufactuer. alway had to change some of the "fish mouth" angles and lengths. if you don`t have access to a bender and do have a 4 in grider it`s prob. the way to go.
Myself I`ll never buy a kit again. easier to just bend what I like out of sticks of tube.

jspbtown Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:54 am

My Hawkeye cage kit perfectly. There was no trimming the front hoop, no trimming the two center tubes, no trimming the rear hoop, but there was trimming the rear tubes, and cutting and fitting the rear & bottom plates. For someone with no welding skills I found it very easy. I was able to pull everything together with long clamps before I tacked it.

Are there better ways? Yup, I am sure of it. But for me, in my situation, it worked.

RaythO Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:16 am

great to hear! must be a problem of not fitting in the stock car vendors. I don`t know what brands they bought off hand but, we had problems.
Haven`t priced DOM for a couple years, anyone know what the 22' sticks are running? I may have to build on for my buggy soon. I only drive mine on the strret and like the looks of not having one but the safety issue is starting to worry my a bit.

Glasser Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:34 am

I was told $5/ft DOM $8/ft Chromoly (Canadian).