TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: wipers
bob cook Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:26 pm

does anyone have a front shot of there buggy showing wpiers on windsheild in off position thanks

RaythO Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:00 pm

[/img]

lostinbaja Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:01 pm

Here is a picture of my Manx with the wipers in the "off" position. :D

surfnc Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Here are pics of the three I built.

RaythO Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:15 pm

:lol: :lol: Jerry wins!! that`s the "off" position

bob cook Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:33 pm

thanks guys I really wanted to go with the OFF position like jerry but afraid of local constables!!!!! the reason I needed the pictures was I put my arms on and the stick up so far into the winsheild I thought I was doing something wrong I may just take a chance without them I surehate how they look thanks mike

lostinbaja Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:44 am

I have about 15,000 miles on my buggy in northern Illinois and haven't been bothered about the lack of wipers yet. I do carry a manual wiper to clamp onto the windshield frame for those rare times I get caught in the rain.
One of these from J.C. Whitney:

http://bandkmfg.com/images/JCWhitneyWiperAd.gif

and one of these from www.bandkmfg.com :

And you have a wiper when you need it.

Yellermanx Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:14 am

Just realized I'm back-erds! :shock:

lostinbaja Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:15 am

On my first buggy, I drilled the rivet out on the arms and changed the arm legth then riveted them back together with pop rivets. When the rivets are out you can also swap and flip that part of the arm to get the wiper to sit on the windshield the way you want.

donmac Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:26 am

[quote="Yellermanx"]Just realized I'm back-erds! :shock:

Yea, me too. It depends on the year of you wiper motor. Something to consider for those adding wipers.

MURZI Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:56 am

I used adjustable universal arms so I could get them to lay down like a normal car. Some assembly required :lol: :lol:

engineerorange Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:40 am

'68 beetle motor and arms. arms were "tweaked" with the fire wrench and vise to make them lay down.

LeeVW Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:39 am

"On my first buggy, I drilled the rivet out on the arms and changed the arm legth then riveted them back together with pop rivets."

Jerry,

Thanks for answering my question before I asked it! My windshield wipers only clear the bottom half of the windshield. I really need the arms to be longer, and your method sounds like just the ticket. I will give it a try.

Lee

lazybonz Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:48 pm

Here's mine not that i plan on useing them

LeeVW Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:47 pm

I looked at the wiper arms on my buggy ('72 Standard Beetle wiper assembly), and I can see how the arms are riveted together. What I can NOT tell is how to lengthen them. Did you add material to them, or did you swap them with different arms? Do Type 3 arms fit?

Thanks for any help!

Lee

rterfert Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:32 pm

I just wire mine to an on/off switch and can stop them where ever I wish.