TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Opinions wanted...
SCOOPER Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:40 pm

Ok, just thinking out loud here. I just picked up a Manx II and I want to restore it for street use. The pan needs some work, previous owner welded in his own floor pans, they are flat 1/8" plate, will work ok, but not the best looking job. Also, the tunnel has some nasty looking welds on it where it was shortened, again, works, but is cosmetically challanged. I have a few choices:

1) Start over with another pan, shorten, etc. I could do this, I'm a pretty fair fabricator and have all the tools necessary,

2) Replace the floors with aftermarket pans, grind the tunnel and re-do the welds, or

3) replace the pan with a Berrian unit.

I'm leaning towards #3, it would be the easiest option, and when you figure in the time spent, it wouldn't really be that bad from a cost standpoint. My dilemma is I don't want to do a repair that will piss off the Manx Gods, I feel the Manx should be kept as period correct as possiable. What do you guys think/recommend?

Coop

Jimmler Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Does the existing pan have a VIN/title that all matches and goes together? How's the rust(if any) in the tunnel section? If it's just a matter of replacing/repairing the pans and cleaning up the welds, I think you'll be ahead of the game by runnin' with what ya got, provided the paperwork is good. The Manx gods will be happy, the DMV will be happy, you'll eventually be happy, but your wallet and back will complain a bit along the way. Good luck. That was an AWESOME find.

Mongo63 Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:53 pm

When it comes to my toys I've always done it my way and to hell with the "gods" or purists. I have never built a vehicle for anyone else but myself and have always kept what I build. If you want to build a correct or concourse vehicle that's a different story, but if you're building a ride for yourself and family to enjoy my vote is order up that Berrien frame! Besides I like the idea of a vintage vehicle that has been improved on, more hp, better stoppers, cooler stance, stronger chassis, louder stereo ...But also it's that much better if you built it yourself if you've got the fabrication skills. It's YOURS, dream BIG! :D

SiggyManx#33 Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the Manx gods dig the Berrien chassis.

It isn't authentic old school.

But it is stiff
-makes your car handle better
-is probably safer
-all brand new
-pretty cost efficient
-clean and easy to work with.

Unless I was going for a period correct restoration, I wouldn't use anything else.

SCOOPER Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:02 pm

Yes, I do have a matching title for it, and it's not a rust problem, just cosmetic. The Berrian frame does look nice though....decisions, decisions...

SCOOPER Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:06 pm

SiggyManx...Nice...

Coop

surfnc Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:18 pm

Coop,
I would find out how hard it would be to title the Berrien chassis in NY.

I know that here in NC it is much easier to get a titled pan through the DMV than one you have to get a title for. Here as long as it is 35 years or older no one has to look at it to get it tagged and insured. (No state inspection) The vehicle also stays registered at the year of the pan. Some states go with the build year, the engine year, year of the body etc. Again I do not know about NY, but depending on how they title a Berrien chassis you may have to have it emission tested and safety inspected.

With all that said, if it is no problem to title the Berrien go with what you want, buggies are a personal statement by their owner or builder.

X2 on Siggy's buggy, looking forward to seeing you down here this summer.

If you go with the Berrien, keep the old pan for another project. A titled pan at a reasonable price is the hardest thing for me to find where I am.

SCOOPER Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:28 pm

I don't think titling it will be a problem, it currently is titled in NY as a 1965 Volkswagen convertiable , I'm not going to tell DMV the frame is not the original, here in NY they don't care. You only get in a bind if you try to register a vechicle as a homebuilt, then it has to be inspected by DMV for theft and also has to meet all current emmisions and safety specs. I can get antique plates for it also, due to it's age. It will only have to pass a basic safety inspection: brakes, lights, windshield, wipers, etc.

I guess the next thing I need to do is remove the body so I can see exactly what I have, go from there. Thanks for the thoughts so far, hopefully I'll remove the frame and find something really bad that will force me to go with the Berrien... :D

Coop

lazybonz Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:14 am

I went trough the NY DMV crap.

It also will be easier upstate them LI i was told by albany.
The hardest part was the time it took. You will have to take it for a DMV inspection.There they will vin it as a custom (most likely)
before that you will need forms from the DMV to give detailes about the car and you will need all the saftey stuff and SEA # from your lights and have a plate light and a back up light and pictures.
Once i did all the paper work they gave me a apponintment for the inspection. just make sure you get it vin'ed more the 26 years old to avoid emissions. That my promblem the title i got with mine said it was a 86 spec from Iowa. It wasn't hard just fustrating.

Coop let me know if you need any phone #s of other info.

Make sure you save the vin from the tunnel you have just in case.

Ron

Yellermanx Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:17 am

Personally I think as long as you don't hack the body you haven't hurt it. My Manx is on a Berrien chassis and I'm happy.

90volts Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:23 am

SCOOPER wrote: I don't think titling it will be a problem, it currently is titled in NY as a 1965 Volkswagen convertiable , I'm not going to tell DMV the frame is not the original, here in NY they don't care. You only get in a bind if you try to register a vechicle as a homebuilt, then it has to be inspected by DMV for theft and also has to meet all current emmisions and safety specs. I can get antique plates for it also, due to it's age. It will only have to pass a basic safety inspection: brakes, lights, windshield, wipers, etc.

I guess the next thing I need to do is remove the body so I can see exactly what I have, go from there. Thanks for the thoughts so far, hopefully I'll remove the frame and find something really bad that will force me to go with the Berrien... :D

Coop

just remember,with the berrien frame and a vw title it is still technically illegal. so if someone knows better and gets a wild hair and wants to nail you, it could get very expensive and problematic for you. possibly impound and sell your vehicle at auction. that is how it is in Pa and it nags the back of my mind sometimes.and I have an original pan! but technically... it's not supposed to be registered as a vw any longer once it's cut. granted this is a worst case scenario, but the law is on the books so figured i'd put it out there.

that said,if its a viable option, go for the berrien frame. :D

kustoms Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:50 am

Replacing a set of floor pans is relatively easy. Bad floors make the chassis look worse then it is.
You can use any chassis you want. That will not effect the value. Its when people do extreme body mode that are not so easily reparable that will effect it.
Contrary to what some would have you believe a Manx is not just another dune buggy. In my opinion a Manx is an investment car and one should keep that in mind when moving forward. On top of that, based on the photos alone your specimen looks like a real survivor.

A little advice, When you do the tare down, DO NOT THROUGH ANY THING AWAY. You never know what you will need.

BL3Manx Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:46 am

If you want the best, get a Dave Barrett Chassis.

http://manxchassis.com/

MURZI Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Do this....not hard.....

GetPsycho Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:36 pm

I followed Murzi's advice and could'nt be happier with
the way that it turned out. Gives a lot of satisfaction to
build it from scratch yourself.

BL3Manx Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:14 pm

If you decide to refurb the VW pan, besides making sure its straight and solid, the most important thing to do is make sure the tubes inside the tunnel(clutch, fuel, parking brake and throttle) are all intact and well anchored. Also make sure the shift rod hanger has a new bushing.